Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning, i was going to school, started my truck up and let it idle in neutral for about 1 minute as usual. drove for about 3 miles and then stopped at a gas station to get something to drink and some gum. when i went to leave, i started my truck, it reved up like normal, and then rmps dropped to about 300 so i gave it some gas so it wouldnt die. i had to put it in neutral and give it gas whenever i came to a stop, and then right about when i was to school it was fine. fuel pump? fuel filter?

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I would vote for a sticky automatic idle motor. I have had this situation happen on my turbo mopars. Somtimes a rap with the hadle of a screw driver is a quick fix but some carb cleaner will take car of it for a long time.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
It might also be a Map Sensor. My Map Sensor on my Lebaron would cause this problem. In order to keep it running I had to hold the gas on at every stop. It sucked.

~CYCLONE_06

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could it be something with idle speed? it only seems to do it when the engine is warm. also, where is the map sensor?

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
You say it seems to only do it when the engine is warm ? I would get the crank sensor checked. Or possibly the ignition sensor. My 94 New Yorker also used to cut out when it got warm. I then found out it was the crank sensor.

~CYCLONE_06

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well if i leave it sit overnight or at school, it will start and run fine. as soon as i shut it off for 15minutes to 3 hours it will do this.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
Yea I would definately get someone to look at the crank sensor. Thats probably what it is. I know for certain it is either the crank sensor, the map sensor, or the ignition sensor. I would investigate the crank before the other two.

~CYCLONE_06

·
Registered
504 Posts
Check for eror codes first then move forward. There are several things that could be going wrong.

If the fuel filter has not been changed in say a year then change it. The ATS could be fouled or the O2 could be going bad. The TPS may be acting up as well.

Look for the code and save yourself the time and money.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I had an old 70' chevy that did that it was a combomation bad alternator/ battery that wouldn't provide enought spark to burn all the fuel in the cylinder resulting in stalling.

I was blown away when I finally fixed the problem because I've never heard of it before.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts