Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2001 QC Dakota and I'm wanting to tint the front windows and windshield, but I want it to match the factory rear window tint. So can anybody tell me what percentage that factory tint is?

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
340 Posts
Most states don't allow the windshield to be tinted at all, except the top.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a reflective tint that can be applied to the front windshield that enhances the rest of the tint whether it's legal or not I don't know but no one I know has ever had an issue.
Some states like mine do have a medical sun screen exemption form you can take to your doctor and have them fill out and then file it with your local municipality.
Then you can have it as dark as you want.
Right after my melanoma cancer yrs ago I blacked mine out as I traveled extensively for work.
Had an old( on his way to retirement) State Trooper motor cycle officer that got pissed because myself and a ram were passing him he looked at there tint and got mad shook his head.
When I passed him he really got pissed sped up to look again at my tint and pulled me over.
I explained the reason as to why my tint was so dark ( just like the rams tint). He went on to say I have many friends(survivors) of melanoma and they wear long sleeves and use sun block to protect them selves from the sun.
I explained my line of work and how long sleeves are fine when I'm in meetings in the a/c But when I'm in the field it's not feasible Etc.. Etc..
Still pissed off and by now I'm getting frustrated with his lack of compassion for a 30 yr old young man that came way to close to becoming a melanoma statistic.
I said listen hear officer If you want to be an uncompassionate grouchy old man that's fine. I understand the concern for dark tint in certain communities as it relates to you and other officers safety.
As I stand here before you in almost full suit and tie do you see me as a threat or some type of criminal because my tint is dark?
He says no I don't. Ok then can we move on and both enjoy this beautiful day?
We sure can He's says.
So he comes back with my ticket and another paper and says( If you really think you have a case have your doctor fill this out and bring this with you when you pay your ticket then)
So I did and my $225.00 Ticket was forgiven and it only cost me $15.00 for filing fee's I still to this day have every vehicle I own blacked out.
Funny now watching law enforcement race to get behind me and I watch them run my plates Then they see the MSSE attached to my license/plates and have to find someone else to bother . LOL

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a reflective tint that can be applied to the front windshield that enhances the rest of the tint whether it's legal or not I don't know but no one I know has ever had an issue.
Some states like mine do have a medical sun screen exemption form you can take to your doctor and have them fill out and then file it with your local municipality.
Then you can have it as dark as you want.
Right after my melanoma cancer yrs ago I blacked mine out as I traveled extensively for work.
Had an old( on his way to retirement) State Trooper motor cycle officer that got pissed because myself and a ram were passing him he looked at there tint and got mad shook his head.
When I passed him he really got pissed sped up to look again at my tint and pulled me over.
I explained the reason as to why my tint was so dark ( just like the rams tint). He went on to say I have many friends(survivors) of melanoma and they wear long sleeves and use sun block to protect them selves from the sun.
I explained my line of work and how long sleeves are fine when I'm in meetings in the a/c But when I'm in the field it's not feasible Etc.. Etc..
Still pissed off and by now I'm getting frustrated with his lack of compassion for a 30 yr old young man that came way to close to becoming a melanoma statistic.
I said listen hear officer If you want to be an uncompassionate grouchy old man that's fine. I understand the concern for dark tint in certain communities as it relates to you and other officers safety.
As I stand here before you in almost full suit and tie do you see me as a threat or some type of criminal because my tint is dark?
He says no I don't. Ok then can we move on and both enjoy this beautiful day?
We sure can He's says.
So he comes back with my ticket and another paper and says( If you really think you have a case have your doctor fill this out and bring this with you when you pay your ticket then)
So I did and my $225.00 Ticket was forgiven and it only cost me $15.00 for filing fee's I still to this day have every vehicle I own blacked out.
Funny now watching law enforcement race to get behind me and I watch them run my plates Then they see the MSSE attached to my license/plates and have to find someone else to bother . LOL
Hahaha nice work getting rid of that cop!

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies everybody. I did look up my state laws, and it's not legal to tint the windshield at all, but the front windows can be tinted up to 20% 4 inches from the top... whatever that means I gather only part of the window could be tinted which would look far worse. So scratch that idea pretty much

You can also get a waver as a show car and bypass the tint laws.
Ha, I wish, I don't think I could fool anybody with this rustbucket!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanks for the replies everybody. I did look up my state laws, and it's not legal to tint the windshield at all, but the front windows can be tinted up to 20% 4 inches from the top... whatever that means I gather only part of the window could be tinted which would look far worse. So scratch that idea pretty much

Ha, I wish, I don't think I could fool anybody with this rustbucket!
yep 20% on the tint shade (which is pretty standard) and 4inches coverage from the top off the windshield down usually puts you right at the rear view mirror mount
You could sand and clear coat the rust and call it patina. LOL

1 - 9 of 9 Posts