Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm kicking around trying a 4.7 to 5.9 swap because I've been told there isn't a whole lot of better horsepower options with this engine unless you but a blower on it. And even then the numbers are just not that impressive compared to the corresponding out lay of cash. All wisdom appreciated.

Hicks

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
147 Posts
What kind of numbers are you looking for? A good performance chip and cold air intake should get you to about 310-330hp

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What I'd really like is something closer to or over 400hp. I just can't seem to find a documentation about how to get any kind of performance out of these. It seems like it should be possible. It also seems like the blowers are way too expensive. The crazy thing is I can buy a junked 00 - 03 with a 5.9 for about a grand, freshen that engine up to the numbers I'd like and still have about a grand left over compared to buying a bolt on supercharger.

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,261 Posts
What kind of numbers are you looking for? A good performance chip and cold air intake should get you to about 310-330hp
Programmer and cai won't get you near that hp. Stock is 235 and with a programmer and cai should get you maybe 250-260 at the flywheel.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
147 Posts
Programmer and cai won't get you near that hp. Stock is 235 and with a programmer and cai should get you maybe 250-260 at the flywheel.
Everything I've read (at least about the 2002 4.7) says they make 270 stock

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,261 Posts
From wickipedia

The 4.7-liter version was the first of this family, appearing in the 1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee. The displacement is 4.7 L; 286.7 cu in (4,698 cc) with a bore and a stroke of 3.66 in × 3.405 in (93.0 mm × 86.5 mm). It has a cast iron block and aluminum heads with two valves per cylinder. It uses chain-driven Single overhead camshafts, one in each head. It originally produced 235 hp (175 kW) and 295 lb⋅ft (400 N⋅m) of torque. The 4.7 L V8 is available with four speed and five speed automatic transmissions and a 5 speed manual transmission.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What is it about this engine that leads it to not being very build-able for higher hp? Is it the heads?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The last few years of the 4.7 were over 300 HP

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, in theory. How can you get the most hp out of a 4.7 with a blower? And I'm talking bulletproof. It just seems that there isn't anyone with that knowledge. Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm looking for EVERYthing you can do to that engine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts