Dakota Durango Forum banner
9321 - 9340 of 9349 Posts

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
460 Posts
Put down the Old Milwaukee for a minute and see if you can find the make & model.

·
Registered
251 Posts
my friend's 4.7 durango threw a rod because he revved it past 7k rpm
I’ve been doing that since day 1. No rev limiter, practically been trying to blow up this engine for 13 years and it keeps on running like new. These engines love to rev!!! But yeah don’t try that on the earlier units prone to dropping valve seats... and rods

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
replaced Battery Temp Sensor a few days ago. Had an issue with the voltage gauge pegging out at 18v and the check gauges light coming on.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport 4.7L V8
252 Posts
Good job! I had to do my alternator last week cuz of my stereo! Was worth the upgrade as now I have no more flashing/pulsing lights!!!

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
275 Posts
Made more progress on tearing mine down to replace the head gaskets! Most noticeably I got the intake plenum off, along with the AC compressor and various tangles of wires and hoses.

·
Registered
2003 Dakota Sport 4.7L V8
252 Posts
Wow u going all out. Glad u had my mechanic do my rebuild for me as I’d spend just as much on the fancy tools and such to do all what you are doing. Kee up the good work.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
275 Posts
Wow u going all out. Glad u had my mechanic do my rebuild for me as I’d spend just as much on the fancy tools and such to do all what you are doing. Kee up the good work.
Hehe, yessir! I'd rather spend all winter (all though it shouldn't take that long I hope lol) doing it myself then have a shop do it, I save some money and learn more about my motor in the mean time! My brother is a diesel mechanic and I know a guy that's the head mechanic at some big company so between the two of them I have access to a great variety of tools, it's just a matter of getting them to let me borrow them haha! Speaking of going all out, I just bought a 3" lift kit 😂

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had the bottom end of my 4.7l 3rd gen apart today.

I have been noticing a knock lately. I was sure I needed new bearings since i haven’t exactly been easy on this motor since day 1.

It now has 224,000 km and upon inspection, all the rod bearings look pristine. Still have the factory texture on them.

Now I was able to push the piston rod up off the crank and noticed I could easily move it around in a circle pretty freely in the bore, pivoting on the wrist pin. Is this normal or is there supposed to be no movement? There is no up and down play, but it sure moves in a circle pretty easy.

I’ve tried lighter oil, heavier oil, changed the oil a few times over the last month. Haven’t noticed any change, but the knock is driving me crazy. Still runs perfectly smooth and has tons of power.

·
Registered
251 Posts

Knock Knock... Go Away? Sorta seems like it!
Well for the past month or so I have been trying to find the source of this annoying knocking sound coming from my 2008 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 V8.

I tried like 3 or 4 different oils, heavier, lighter, different brands... only seemed to get worse.

I always used Royal Purple HPS since day 1... And was always fanatic about frequent oil changes. (More thoughts on RP coming up)

So fearing I had worn or spun rod bearings, I decided to dig into my engine to find out what’s going on in there.

And to my surprise I couldn't find any play whatsoever in any of the lower end rod bearings. Everything seems tight as can be.

So I pulled all the rod caps to inspect further and to my amazement, the bearing surfaces still looked practically like the day they were installed. So little wear, the factory coating was still intact. I think MAYBE A few of them MAY have been about 1mm or so out of scratch, which I corrected upon reinstallation.

So after torquing all the fasteners to spec, I put the truck back together and refilled the crank case with 5L of fresh Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w20 oil.

Now with my engine back together, after its rod bearing inspection, I noticed immediately on cold start a large reduction in the knocking sound I've been hearing.

I don't know if I corrected something while reinstalling, was something maybe slightly out of spec? Could it be the high mileage oil I'm now using? I currently have the crank case filled with fresh Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w20 oil. It seems to like it A LOT better than both the RP and the PPlatinum AND Ultra!

The last 4 oil changes have been only weeks apart, as I tried to investigate the knocking. So all comparisons are with new oil...

So my thoughts on Royal Purple. Used nothing but RP for 13 years and the inside of my engine looks disgusting... I was shocked how black and cooked with baked on carbon and varnish it was. I swear I've used nothing but RP since Day 1 (12km on the ODO). I literally dropped the factory oil immediately and switched to RP. RELIGIOUS oil changes at 5000-8000km intervals ever since. I even used popular engine flushes at every oil change! So that shows how affective they are!

Well I am done with RP after seeing the inside of my engine, that's for sure.

All I know is it's sounding absolutely fine right now with the PennzoilHM, and seems to have gobs of power AND runs quieter overall and smoother. I've already noticed an additional increase in my gas mileage too... I saw 29mpg while cruising at a steady 60km/h in town and 22mpg while cruising 100km/h down the highway during my test ride.

Now maybe I’m a little paranoid after this experience but now I think I hear excessive ticking from the top end... moreso than normal... (Again I may be oversensitive) but I think I might just pull the valve covers to see if there's any worn lifters or something... what can I say, I JUST GOTTA KNOW. lol I hate engine noise, period.

Well I'm done messing around now.

Time to just enjoy this old truck and when she blows, SHE GETS A HEMI YEE YEE

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
275 Posts

Knock Knock... Go Away? Sorta seems like it!
Well for the past month or so I have been trying to find the source of this annoying knocking sound coming from my 2008 Dodge Dakota with the 4.7 V8.

I tried like 3 or 4 different oils, heavier, lighter, different brands... only seemed to get worse.

I always used Royal Purple HPS since day 1... And was always fanatic about frequent oil changes. (More thoughts on RP coming up)

So fearing I had worn or spun rod bearings, I decided to dig into my engine to find out what’s going on in there.

And to my surprise I couldn't find any play whatsoever in any of the lower end rod bearings. Everything seems tight as can be.

So I pulled all the rod caps to inspect further and to my amazement, the bearing surfaces still looked practically like the day they were installed. So little wear, the factory coating was still intact. I think MAYBE A few of them MAY have been about 1mm or so out of scratch, which I corrected upon reinstallation.

So after torquing all the fasteners to spec, I put the truck back together and refilled the crank case with 5L of fresh Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w20 oil.

Now with my engine back together, after its rod bearing inspection, I noticed immediately on cold start a large reduction in the knocking sound I've been hearing.

I don't know if I corrected something while reinstalling, was something maybe slightly out of spec? Could it be the high mileage oil I'm now using? I currently have the crank case filled with fresh Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage 5w20 oil. It seems to like it A LOT better than both the RP and the PPlatinum AND Ultra!

The last 4 oil changes have been only weeks apart, as I tried to investigate the knocking. So all comparisons are with new oil...

So my thoughts on Royal Purple. Used nothing but RP for 13 years and the inside of my engine looks disgusting... I was shocked how black and cooked with baked on carbon and varnish it was. I swear I've used nothing but RP since Day 1 (12km on the ODO). I literally dropped the factory oil immediately and switched to RP. RELIGIOUS oil changes at 5000-8000km intervals ever since. I even used popular engine flushes at every oil change! So that shows how affective they are!

Well I am done with RP after seeing the inside of my engine, that's for sure.

All I know is it's sounding absolutely fine right now with the PennzoilHM, and seems to have gobs of power AND runs quieter overall and smoother. I've already noticed an additional increase in my gas mileage too... I saw 29mpg while cruising at a steady 60km/h in town and 22mpg while cruising 100km/h down the highway during my test ride.

Now maybe I’m a little paranoid after this experience but now I think I hear excessive ticking from the top end... moreso than normal... (Again I may be oversensitive) but I think I might just pull the valve covers to see if there's any worn lifters or something... what can I say, I JUST GOTTA KNOW. lol I hate engine noise, period.

Well I'm done messing around now.

Time to just enjoy this old truck and when she blows, SHE GETS A HEMI YEE YEE

Good ya got it sorted out, best of luck on the upper end now!

·
Registered
71 Posts
I passed inspection by changing my own thermostat to clear a P0128 (engine warming up to slowly) just in time as my plate was expiring!

2004 Dodge Durango Limited, 5.7L, 4x4, 222k mi

·
Registered
251 Posts
I had my valve cover off today. The lifters seem tired and probably should be replaced.

First time seeing inside my engine and wow. I’m pretty ticked.

Very disappointed and disgusted with how dirty my engine is inside even though I always used Royal Purple and always changed the oil RELIGIOUSLY.

You always see people on forums saying “they always swear by scheduled oil changes yet their 4.7s are sludged up because of lack of oil change.” And I always think to myself yup, how clean mine must be since I ACTUALLY have always changed my oil more often than required ever since the truck was new. Maybe they actually do sludge up.

I checked the lines coming off the valve cover and there’s no air movement whatsoever when the truck is running. Did the paper-over-the-filler hole test and zero suction at all. Checked the hose from the valve cover to air box... no air movement at all. There’s no air going into or out of my crank case.

There’s no obstruction in any hoses, I’ve checked.

It’s my conclusion that my crank case is not being ventilated whatsoever.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
275 Posts
Oof that's nasty. Mine are perfect but they look way better then that. You think maybe the different oils you've tried lately did that? Or is it the Royal Purple that's the problem?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Oof that's nasty. Mine are perfect but they look way better then that. You think maybe the different oils you've tried lately did that? Or is it the Royal Purple that's the problem?
I’ve only used top of the line brands. Full synthetic from the start. Actually if you look close, it seems that the oil I’ve used lately has started to CLEAN away some of the crap. I see some shiny spots lol

I honestly think it’s a PCV issue. Doesn’t seem to be any air going into or out of the crank case.

·
Registered
02 4.7l Dakota
275 Posts
I’ve only used top of the line brands. Full synthetic from the start. Actually if you look close, it seems that the oil I’ve used lately has started to CLEAN away some of the crap. I see some shiny spots lol

I honestly think it’s a PCV issue. Doesn’t seem to be any air going into or out of the crank case.
Makes sense. Get a couple of those cheap $7 crank case mini air filters on Ebay, pick up some rubber tubing at a parts store, and rig up a direct system with that to see if it makes a difference. I run 2 of those at each breather instead of splicing into my short ram intake.

·
Registered
71 Posts

I have heard that synthetic, if run consistently enough, will actually clean away burnt on oil deposits.

You say you’ve always used premium brands. But there’s so much more to oil than brand, viscosity, and blend.

I highly suggest you peruse RangeRovers.net for “oil spec” threads. Import forums seem to have a lot more finicky oil discussions than domestic forums, for some reason.

Wealth of knowledge there.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I’ll have to check that out. I also noticed tons of strong opinions and group-think on the domestic oil discussions. I expected a whistle clean engine because I’ve used nothing but full synthetic Royal Purple ever since break in right up until about a month ago or so, then the knocking started...so I tried some Lucas synthetic which helped some, but decided to switch to Pennzoil Platinum, no change, so went Back to ROyal Purple, tried a small amount of Lucas again, wasn’t happy with it so then back to Pennzoil Ultra Platinum, tried that for a few days and then I tore into the engine to investigate. Right now it’s got Pennzoil Platinum High Mileage and it seems to love it. Running like a top now. So I think I’m sticking with this oil.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I actually found out for sure what was making the noise that I mistook for a rod knock.

What I mistook for a rod knock was actually coming from a worn timing chain and tensioners. After posting this video I noticed the timing chain tensioner is maxed out and not even touching the guide and the chain looks pretty stretched.

Looks like a timing job is in the near future!

9321 - 9340 of 9349 Posts