Dakota Durango Forum banner

9281 - 9291 of 9291 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
After replacing the hub as my mechanic insisted I was a bit hesitant but I drove it to the corner store... it was the loudest thing for a mile.. So I turned a lot of heads.. probably screwed it up more and generally made a ruckus..
The noise was AFTER you replaced the hub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
120 Posts
Installed a Mopar nav radio out of an '05 Town & Country. I really rolled the dice on this one, bought the radio off ebay, no idea if it was working. Seller promised the nav CD but then didn't have it.... finally found that his daughter in another state had it. She did ship it. The jewel case got smashed in shipping but the CD survived. Anyway, today I pulled the dash, plugged the radio in and it appeared to work, even loaded the CD. I bought a GPS antenna separately and plugged that in -- it worked too! Used 3M VHB foam tape to secure the GPS antenna to the underside of the dash and plugged in the connectors, antennas, etc. Buttoned up the dash, everything seems to be working. The nav system is crude by today's standards, but it's still pretty cool. Radio can't navigate and play an audio CD at the same time, bummer. Audio sounds good and the RDS system works as well. So far pretty happy with the upgrade. I did pull out a nice RBQ radio with a 6 disc internal changer (the changer portion is new -- I changed that out myself a year ago). So if anyone is looking for the RBQ radio w/6 disc changer and RDS, I could probably be persuaded to sell it.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
120 Posts
Today I got ambitious for another 1 afternoon project. My truck had the classic sopping wet passenger floorboard problem a few years back. I fixed that with a judicious application of silicone RTV... that problem has no doubt been covered here. The carpet was mineral stained and never quite lost it's funk smell. About 2 years back someone on CL posted NOS carpet for my truck ('03 ext. cab) and I nabbed it for not much. It's sat in the garage attic since, sealed in the original factory wrap.

Pulling the seats was the hardest part of course. Mine has the split bench, the way it's built the center section and console can be left attached to either driver or passenger side. You have to unbolt the whole seat from the floor, then tip it way back and separate one seat. Maybe with a helper you could take it out without breaking it down.

After that it's sill plates, center console, right and left kick panels. I loosened the parcel tray under the rear seat, but it probably wasn't necessary. Then just pulled the carpet from the center, it pulls away from the front easily, and from the rear with some persuasion. Took the opportunity to clean the entire floor, vacuum, wash, etc. Found some dog kibbles.... I've never had a dog.

Installation was a little more effortful, getting the new carpet tucked under the rear seat and side panels correctly and all the pre-cut holes lined up with the seat and console mounting holes. Even though it's all die-cut, pre-formed, foam backed, it took a little tweaking. Put the seats back together and bolt down, re-install the plastics, done. Looks like day 1 and restores that new truck smell!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Installed a Mopar nav radio out of an '05 Town & Country. I really rolled the dice on this one, bought the radio off ebay, no idea if it was working. Seller promised the nav CD but then didn't have it.... finally found that his daughter in another state had it. She did ship it. The jewel case got smashed in shipping but the CD survived. Anyway, today I pulled the dash, plugged the radio in and it appeared to work, even loaded the CD. I bought a GPS antenna separately and plugged that in -- it worked too! Used 3M VHB foam tape to secure the GPS antenna to the underside of the dash and plugged in the connectors, antennas, etc. Buttoned up the dash, everything seems to be working. The nav system is crude by today's standards, but it's still pretty cool. Radio can't navigate and play an audio CD at the same time, bummer. Audio sounds good and the RDS system works as well. So far pretty happy with the upgrade. I did pull out a nice RBQ radio with a 6 disc internal changer (the changer portion is new -- I changed that out myself a year ago). So if anyone is looking for the RBQ radio w/6 disc changer and RDS, I could probably be persuaded to sell it.
Is there a support “basket” behind the RBQ radio that needs to be changed out when upgrading?

I am asking because I ran into this issue with the later model REC radio swapping into a non-nav 2004 Durango. The nav is a cube and requires a full square support while the regular CD radio slims down as it goes back, and the basket has a taper that will not fit a nav unit.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
120 Posts
The radio bodies are the same height and width -- although the NAV radio is shorter in depth than the RBQ that I removed. It does slide into a sort of "basket" as you put it, but there was no issue with the depth. I believe the '04 Durango is a whole different animal than the 97- 04 Dakota.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The radio bodies are the same height and width -- although the NAV radio is shorter in depth than the RBQ that I removed. It does slide into a sort of "basket" as you put it, but there was no issue with the depth. I believe the '04 Durango is a whole different animal than the 97- 04 Dakota.
Good to know. Yeah mine’s an 04 but I still occasionally source parts for my mother’s which is a 99. Dash is too early on hers, I believe, for the RB1 nav.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
120 Posts
You are correct -- that's the same dash that was in my 2000 Dak. The RB1 does not fit that opening, and I know the connectors are different as well. I doubt there is a Mopar NAV radio for that dash.... but someone could prove me wrong.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You are correct -- that's the same dash that was in my 2000 Dak. The RB1 does not fit that opening, and I know the connectors are different as well. I doubt there is a Mopar NAV radio for that dash.... but someone could prove me wrong.
I will probably have to go with a Chinese 1.5 DIN android unit, as I hate the idea of cutting the dash.

Or I might go old school with one of those Alpine units.

·
I hate you people.
2,809 Posts
Replaced a bunch of stuff yesterday: changed out my original ACI Products Vanish vinyl cover with a brand new one with new storage straps after 10 years and finally torn up enough to be a safety hazard, changed out the factory speakers for Rockford Fosgate and Lightning Audo 6.5" speakers, replaced my factory stop light with a new LED one, and then replaced my two piece factory lights with a new one piece D-Spec Tuning headlights.
The factory spacers were needed to keep the speakers from interfering with the windows but the rear door spacers are not enough to mount aftermarket speakers so I will have to make a trip to the junkyard later this month to pick up the spacers. Oh, and also pick up the plastic pieces for the door locks that the metal rods go into as trying to detach the rods from the plastic parts broke.
The D-Spec Tuning headlights came with integrated LED DRL's but my original plans didn't work out as I have to add contacts into the PDS in order to use a spare relay spot and my back up plan didn't work either so I have to revisit this at a later date.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Replaced a bunch of stuff yesterday: changed out my original ACI Products Vanish vinyl cover with a brand new one with new storage straps after 10 years and finally torn up enough to be a safety hazard, changed out the factory speakers for Rockford Fosgate and Lightning Audo 6.5" speakers, replaced my factory stop light with a new LED one, and then replaced my two piece factory lights with a new one piece D-Spec Tuning headlights.
The factory spacers were needed to keep the speakers from interfering with the windows but the rear door spacers are not enough to mount aftermarket speakers so I will have to make a trip to the junkyard later this month to pick up the spacers. Oh, and also pick up the plastic pieces for the door locks that the metal rods go into as trying to detach the rods from the plastic parts broke.
The D-Spec Tuning headlights came with integrated LED DRL's but my original plans didn't work out as I have to add contacts into the PDS in order to use a spare relay spot and my back up plan didn't work either so I have to revisit this at a later date.
Hey there friend. FWIW if you’re using the Scosche spacers, the ones from Amazon do NOT come with screws, but the ones from Crutchfield DO.

·
I hate you people.
2,809 Posts
Took the truck to the dealer after work this morning to get the diffs and transfer case fluid changed out while also diagnosing a dragging wheel at times. I went in thinking I had a bad front axle shaft but it turns out my parking brake drum shoes and my disc brake pads had separated. I got replacements for now just so I can keep driving but I will have to get new pads and rotors and just got that done a little while ago.

9281 - 9291 of 9291 Posts