Dakota Durango Forum banner

9261 - 9280 of 9310 Posts

·
Registered
1988 Dodge Dakota LWB RC 3.9V6 3 speed auto
1,422 Posts
Did this past weekend - rebuilt a HVAC box for my 1988 Dakota (got one out of a 1991) so I could get heat not steam out of it.

RwP

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp, chirp...ahhhh sounds like a flock of birds under the hood. Ordered an Idler pulley.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
156 Posts
Been there. The idler is pretty easy to replace.... Every time I'm in there I just bite the bullet and do the serp belt and water pump.... again.... Sweet that O'Reilly will just hand me a new one when I tell them it's leaking again.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Ordered a new coolant reservoir cap. The original is cracking in the center. Good ol' duct tape is holding it together until i get a new one.

·
I hate you people.
2,829 Posts
Just stopped for the night after moving out of my apartment in York, PA and stopped in Springfield, OH. Had to fill up in Blue Mountain Travel Plaza on the 76 Turnpike but from there I went 352.2 miles on a single tank and got 19.47mpg. Not too bad considering all the stuff I have in the cab and bed, plus a steel cargo tray on my hitch.

·
I hate you people.
2,829 Posts
Had to drop my truck off at a local shop near my parents house in Shell Knob, MO because of the cargo tray being stuck in the hitch receiver but while I was trying to get that out, I found one of my leaf spring shackles had busted and was supporting the truck on the bed and that was about to punch through the bed. I am shocked that I didn't have anymore problems after driving it all the way from Pennsylvania like that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If you're looking for somewhere to tell about your entire project plans, this isn't it. Just a little something about what you did today. Whether it's changing up your sound system, changing your oil, or finally finish up a big part of the project that you've been working on, etc., post it up here.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
156 Posts
Had to drop my truck off at a local shop near my parents house in Shell Knob, MO because of the cargo tray being stuck in the hitch receiver but while I was trying to get that out, I found one of my leaf spring shackles had busted and was supporting the truck on the bed and that was about to punch through the bed. I am shocked that I didn't have anymore problems after driving it all the way from Pennsylvania like that.
Sounds to me like you overloaded the CRAP out of your truck.

·
I hate you people.
2,829 Posts
Sounds to me like you overloaded the CRAP out of your truck.
Try again, numbnuts. Being 16 years old and spending most of its life in 4 seasons states, rust takes it toll and that’s what happened, not overloading.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
156 Posts
Hey, lighten up bro..... no need for name calling. You just said you drove hundreds of miles with a cargo tray and a pickup full of stuff. A heavy load overhung off the back of the truck is the worst case scenario for you rear suspension, whether you understand that or not. It for sure contributed to your shackle breaking. Before you go calling people insulting names, take a good hard look at your own failures. And yes, something does stink here...

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
changed out the belt tensioner. I've had the part for quite awhile. Finally got off my ass.

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
The flock of birds under the hood is back with a vengeance. Ordered a new bearing for the a/c compressor pulley. I'll have to get that done sometime this week. I should start rebuilding my power steering pump next week.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’ll cover the past year:

2004 Durango 4x4 5.7, Patriot Blue

• Bilsteins
  • REC radio, nav bezel, w/backup cam
  • New steering wheel audio buttons
  • New cruise control buttons
  • Ram SRT10 steering wheel (so subtle a change but the yellow stitching is “if you know, you know”)
  • Muffler delete, 3” pipe, kept resonator
  • New clear corner headlight housings and LED’s, indexed perfectly
To do:

• Torsion key lift
  • New, bigger BFG’s (whichever will fit spare well max)
  • Hub centric spacers (the least I can get away with, 1-2”)
Planning to leave wheels stock to maximize my budget and have close to stock appearance minus the obvious lift and tires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
installed a new a/c clutch, clutch plate and pulley. Also, decided not to rebuild the power steering pump. Got a remanned one locally for 70 bucks with $35 core.

·
Registered
22 Posts
installed a new a/c clutch, clutch plate and pulley. Also, decided not to rebuild the power steering pump. Got a remanned one locally for 70 bucks with $35 core.
Did the PS pump give out gracefully or just die one day?

·
Premium Member
955 Posts
Did the PS pump give out gracefully or just die one day?

It had been peeing fluid for more than a year. It took that long for me to get off my ass and fix it. This is the 2nd power steering pump. It lasted as long as the original. Both started leaking at around 9-10 years.

·
Registered
22 Posts
To all curious about torsion bar lifts the kit is $200-something for the keys, shop said the install is quoting 3.5 hrs of labor but they’d bill 1.5 hrs because they can’t see how it would ever take that long.

Recommended hub-centric spacers if I’m going up in tire size, $900 for all: keys, labor, 2” spacers (so they don’t have to trim the studs)

Tires and wheels would be up to me at that point.

·
Registered
8 Posts
After replacing the hub as my mechanic insisted I was a bit hesitant but I drove it to the corner store... it was the loudest thing for a mile.. So I turned a lot of heads.. probably screwed it up more and generally made a ruckus..

9261 - 9280 of 9310 Posts