Dakota Durango Forum banner

9241 - 9260 of 9279 Posts

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Installed a Curt Class III receiver hitch on my 1988 Dakota today.

It went in fairly easily; due to my truck being a 1988, I had to drill four 1/2" holes in the frame.

Those bolts had a rectangular flange that the carriage bolts went through to hold them; LockTite and about two or three ugga-duggas and they won't come out.

The rear most bumper bolt on the frame came off; the hitch lines up with that to hold the back up and came with new bolts; again, square hole in the hitch, carriage bolt, two ugga-duggas and LockTite and I'm golden.

Looks good back there too.

Biggest problem I had was removing the ball from the bumper; I ended up using an angle grinder to cut through the shaft to remove the ball.

RwP

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
My BM-180 Efan died yesterday. i checked the wiring, it has power to the fan. The motor gave out. I've ordered a new one and should get it in 2 days.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
New BM-180 Efan arrived today. Installed with new wiring and controller.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
97 Posts
Installed my new Depo one piece headlights. As has been brought up here before, one of the passenger side parking light bulb cutouts is molded wrong -- a few minutes with my pocket knife opening the slots allowed enough bulb rotation to plug in the connector. Why hasn't Depo fixed this?

I'm pretty sure these lights aren't street legal -- no amber reflectors on the side. But they look great. Mounting system seems robust and installation took less than an hour.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
replace the hydraulic slave cylinder yesterday. i bought the complete prefilled set. What a PIA. Had to remove the brake booster to get it done.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Installed my new Depo one piece headlights. As has been brought up here before, one of the passenger side parking light bulb cutouts is molded wrong -- a few minutes with my pocket knife opening the slots allowed enough bulb rotation to plug in the connector. Why hasn't Depo fixed this?

I'm pretty sure these lights aren't street legal -- no amber reflectors on the side. But they look great. Mounting system seems robust and installation took less than an hour.
Get some of these silver coated/amber bulbs for the park/turn and for the corner markers. Completelt changes the look of the headlights!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/1156-SILVER-AMBER-PLATINUM-CHROME/dp/B000U07ZKI[/ame]

·
Registered
32 Posts
Here’s what I did lately!!! 2 - 10 “ subs in the back as well!!!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
937 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Called back the insured party that hit my truck weekend before last to see what I get for keeping it and what I get for letting them take it since it is considered a total loss. :(

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
replaced O2 sensors today.

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Ordered a new Leak Detection Pump.

·
Registered
2,199 Posts
finished replacing rear springs, all 4 shocks, and control arm bushings on all 4 control arms on my 01 Durango.
Filled up the gas tank for the 1st time in 3 years.
back story;
it had been sitting, replaced the engine, rebuilt the trans, replaced every sensor and tuneup part, had the alternator and starter rebuilt locally, new fuel pump, the engine got brand new "ready to install" EQ heads (that weren't "ready to install") sent the injectors out to be flushed/ tested/ rebuilt..... those injectors and heads failed me, doomed that 1st engine replacement.... I was pizzed so I let it sit nearly 3 years in my garage... recently bought another 360 off of CL with roughly 1/2 the miles of the body, and regasketed everything on it, replaced freeze plugs (put brass ones in) and when I went to transfer those new EQ heads to this block, (had around 5 hours run time and 6 whole miles on them while on the other engine) and discovered a bent #4 exhaust valve and pushrod, upon removal from the other engine. so I had to send those brand new heads for a valve job, so they could open up the clearance on all the valve guides and replace that new, but bent valve. they said they had more trouble getting the intake valves out than the rest of the exhausts.... way too tight. None were galled, though.

the other issue I had, was those injectors. Ran pig rich after rebuild, washed out the rings and bearings, my "break in oil change" came out as a silver slurry (bearing material), also melted down what was a brand spanking new Magnaflow cat that was also installed with the rebuild, because of the injectors//
both parts of the job,. that I trusted to somebody else.... found out everything I had done was fine, upon the 2nd teardown. and people wonder why I so seldom pay anyone else to do something "for" me... bites me in the azz, every time/ I did check the machine work as I assembled the 1st engine, to verify their work.... now thanks to things outta my control, I get to go thru that engine once again. (may wind up in my 96 Dakota 4wd, once re-rebuilt)

finally decided I had to do something with what had become a garage ornament for ~2-1/2 years, this past summer..... "$H!T or get off the pot.. (fix it again or junk it) so I fixed it again, because the wife likes this truck soooo much and the body is rust free from the South despite its 258K miles..... and she has been "on me" to get her truck going again"..... I did look at a few potential replacements that were listed for sale on CL before I did the 2nd engine replacement.... the $$ they wanted at the time for rust buckets made it an easy choice to get this one back on the road.
It is completely "stock" as it sits, I have a set of stainless headers for it once it "proves itself" to be the truck it used to be, once again..... also a set of 1.7 roller rockers for it, if it behaves..... right now I have the cat "bypassed" til I could prove that my issues were gone// so I didn't melt another new cat, but I do have another cat sitting here waiting to go on. probably next oil change.
I wound up putting a set of injectors on that I had here from an 01 4.7, in place of the trashed originals.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Rebuilt a HVAC box out of a junkyard Dakota, then swapped it into my Dakota to replace the leaky heater core (foggy windows on 60F days and water coming out the heater vent were my two cues ... )

New blower motor, with the new blower wheel, blows like a sumbeotch.

RwP

·
Premium Member
937 Posts
Installed the new leak detection pump. What a PIA. The thing is mounted to the lower part of the battery tray.

9241 - 9260 of 9279 Posts