Dakota Durango Forum banner

9221 - 9240 of 9264 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Exhaust modification. ‘05 4.7 Dakota.
Has two resonators and a large stock muffler in middle.

Removed the stock muffler from the middle, replaced with pipe. Left both resonators in place. Has a nice rumble to it now.

·
17,623 Posts
Been a while since I've checked in.

Three weeks ago ran a 8.59 in the 1/8 mile which is a new best and what I've been trying to hit the last two years.

Two weeks ago threw tuck on a mobile dyno and put down 330hp 320tq to the wheels.

·
Freelance Nutjob
276 Posts

·
Freelance Nutjob
276 Posts
And now it's sold to someone on the forum, so Adventure Truck will live on!

·
Registered
326 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Over the past few months -

Got the motor rebuilt.

Got the seat rebuilt.

Picked up all the interior plastics (save for the dash!) to clean and paint Navy Blue to contrast nicely with the Pacific Blue seat.

Installed brand new seat belts.

Installed subwoofer behind the driver's seat back.

Added wiring for an autodim mirror and a 2-port USB power source, to go above the headliner.

Oh, got the headliner recovered (nephew started an auto upholstery shop).

Had to get the column fixed AGAIN - this time the wiper switch broke (which on the 1991 and earlier Dakotas, the wiper switch has a cam path on the back, which triggers the cam to the separate turn signal/hazard switch. Said cam path broke due to age.)

And as I type this, I'm about to go out and curse in still another language as I get that column back in so I can get my truck back!

RwP

·
Registered
57 Posts
Changed the oil and the filter. Changed the transmission fluid but not the filter. Found one of the torq screws that holds the filter had been stripped. Anyone had this problem?

·
17,623 Posts
Since my last post, ran a 8.48 in the 1/8 mile all motor after an updated tune from Marty FLetcher and adjusting fuel sync, which was at +10 before adjustment.

Then got my nitrous kit wiring completed and have ran a best of 7.92 on a 150 shot with traction issues.

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
Ordered new NTK Oxygen sensors.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Exhaust modification. ‘05 4.7 Dakota.
Has two resonators and a large stock muffler in middle.

Removed the stock muffler from the middle, replaced with pipe. Left both resonators in place. Has a nice rumble to it now.
Howdy! do you have a video of this process? Im thinking of doing the same to mine, not trying to dump 800 bucks into a full kit just yet but curious as to how it sounds. thanks bud!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Howdy! do you have a video of this process? Im thinking of doing the same to mine, not trying to dump 800 bucks into a full kit just yet but curious as to how it sounds. thanks bud!

It is really simple to straight pipe it, leave the resonators at front and back. The result is a really great sound. Low rumble. Not loud. Not raspy. Not sharp. NO DRONE. Nice and smooth growl.
Easy to cut the muffler out. Cut it out as far to the back as possible, just in front of the hanger. If I remember, I believe we did not actually cut the pipe at all. Just cut the clamps off and took the muffler out. A piece of straight pipe and 2x 22.5 deg elbows to makeup the offset to line up. Maybe 25$ in a piece of pipe and fittings. This was the easiest, the cheapest, and frankly the best sounding as well as performance option. And I have been through my fair share of trucks and exhaust systems. I was really please at how little time and cash we had to put into this one to get exactly what we wanted out of it.
If I do get a video I will come back here and post a youtube link for ya.

Here you go:
https://youtu.be/a1kZtFs0wQM

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is really simple to straight pipe it, leave the resonators at front and back. The result is a really great sound. Low rumble. Not loud. Not raspy. Not sharp. NO DRONE. Nice and smooth growl.
Easy to cut the muffler out. Cut it out as far to the back as possible, just in front of the hanger. If I remember, I believe we did not actually cut the pipe at all. Just cut the clamps off and took the muffler out. A piece of straight pipe and 2x 22.5 deg elbows to makeup the offset to line up. Maybe 25$ in a piece of pipe and fittings. This was the easiest, the cheapest, and frankly the best sounding as well as performance option. And I have been through my fair share of trucks and exhaust systems. I was really please at how little time and cash we had to put into this one to get exactly what we wanted out of it.
If I do get a video I will come back here and post a youtube link for ya.

Here you go:
https://youtu.be/a1kZtFs0wQM

looks easy enough to me! weekend project!

·
Premium Member
932 Posts
My alternator gave out...bought one off of amazon and installed it today.

·
Registered
13 Posts
New tail lights, replaced my pcv valve breathers with k&n breathers because that ugly ass hose from the intake was gross. actually noticed a small difference(call me crazy) but youre supposed to replace those valves every 100k miles and both of mine were completely clogged.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just ordered some front brake pads.

Recently replaced the heater core and installed the old custom intake from my car - fits perfect and made it so I don't have to buy a new air filter, can use this AEM reusable one.

9221 - 9240 of 9264 Posts