Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I'm about to start sanding on my truck, not trying to go to bare metal, just through the clear and paint down to the original primer, we may go deeper later, but for now, i need these spots down so i can spot primer to prevent further surface rust, so what grit sand paper would be best for this?

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
I'm assuming your using an electric sander? Go with 220 or something even lower. I mean you could use 3000 grit but it would take a year lol

·
GLOWIN_DAKOTA
201 Posts
320 on a DA would be the best if your just going to prime it, if you are using a orbital sander then i have no idea lol

·
Unregistered User
1,243 Posts
I would start high. Something like 600 and see how it goes. If its not aggressive enough, drop a little lower. Its much better to waste a few minutes this way then to realize the hard way that you're too coarse. You didn't mention it, but I wet sand as well.

·
Registered
220 Posts
your question is odd....you say you do not want to go to bare metal??? and you say you are trying to stop surface rust??? to stop rust you must go all the way to the metal at the rusted spots and then address the rust issue before priming so it does not return

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
your question is odd....you say you do not want to go to bare metal??? and you say you are trying to stop surface rust??? to stop rust you must go all the way to the metal at the rusted spots and then address the rust issue before priming so it does not return
agreed^ and besides if your going to the primer then just go to the steel anyway at that point your nearly there. Then you can start again fresh.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I wouldnt go any coarser than 320

1 - 15 of 15 Posts