Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What gears do i have and is it LSD

Ok well I know know I have 3.92 gears, but I am not sure if I have a LSD or not. Where would it tell you this info? I know alot about autovotive, but this truck has me stumped, sometimes it spins one, and sometimes it spins both, My old mustang had an open diff and it alway just spun one tire, and the mustang I have now has a LSD and it spins both most off the time. Like I said my truck has me stumped. Is there a tag on the axle or diff housing or something like that says?

·
Registered
75 Posts
My 04 Dak CC has a sticker in the glove box that has the info on it. Check to see if maybe yours has one.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think i checked there but i will look again thanks

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok so I looked in the glove box and I says that my truck has 3.92 gears. Damn that sweet no wounder it has so much bottom end, and for haveing thoes gears it don't do bad on gas

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
Ok so I looked in the glove box and I says that my truck has 3.92 gears. Damn that sweet no wounder it has so much bottom end, and for haveing thoes gears it don't do bad on gas
You also have a 3.7L v6.... that makes a huge difference.

To find out if you have LSD or not(most likely you do considering you have 3.92 gears) Do a burnout.... then go back see if you left two tire marks.... if you only left one... you DON'T have LSD.

Paul

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
YAAAABUDDY03 said:
You also have a 3.7L v6.... that makes a huge difference.

To find out if you have LSD or not(most likely you do considering you have 3.92 gears) Do a burnout.... then go back see if you left two tire marks.... if you only left one... you DON'T have LSD.

Paul
I know that but like I said sometimes both spin and sometimes only one, There has to be a way to find out for sure.

F

·
0 Posts
The sticker in my glove box says I have limited-slip gears...being that yours doesnt...I would imagine you dont...but as was already said...youve got 3.92's so it is likely. Is it possible that the LSD could be malfunctioning? One of the clutch packs isnt engaging all the time or something? Im not sure. I do know that if you go to the dealer and give them your VIN (they did this for me) they last 6 digits I think are a serial number...and they look it up in their database and can tell you all the options that your truck has. Ive got 3.55 gears...limited slip in rear...optional 22 gallon tank...and the skid plate package...w00t! go previos owner for opting for the skid plates!

-Fox

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
MiniMotoRider said:
I know that but like I said sometimes both spin and sometimes only one, There has to be a way to find out for sure.
If sometimes both spin... but also sometimes only one spins... chances are you have LSD, but it's going out... or there's something wrong with it. now being that your truck is so new... it doesn't seem as if your LSD has gone out... chances are they put in a faulty one... or didn't put it in correctly(I don't see how that could happen)... either way, I don't think if you DON'T have LSD that both would spin.... EVER!

Paul

F

·
0 Posts
Do me a favor...explain to me what exactly the LSD does. Open I understand...wheel with least traction gets more power. Locker I understand. Both wheels get equal power. LSD...I dont get. Thanks.

-Fox

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Fox said:
Do me a favor...explain to me what exactly the LSD does. Open I understand...wheel with least traction gets more power. Locker I understand. Both wheels get equal power. LSD...I dont get. Thanks.

-Fox
Basically it's on a clutch type system... there are little springs in there and once the clutches feel as if on wheel(the main pull wheel... usually the passenger side) is losing traction... it sends egual power to both wheels...

If you are going straight you are getting power from both wheels... UNDER HEAVY ACCELORATION. But if ur just driving along it's using only one wheel...

Its basically used so that you can have a locker type setup without the annoying chirp going around corners!..... or is that a spool?

This is me speaking from what I've listened to... I'm not 100% on it all... but it's how I think of an LSD....please... other people chime in... I don't want to give this guy the wrong general idea.

Paul

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
like he said the LSD uses clutches and they can get bad, The one in my stang is starting to show so where, but it still spins both most of the time so it's all good I wll have it rebulit some day when I do gears. Thw sticker in my glove box says that I have a corp 8 axle so is that good or bad?

F

·
0 Posts
I believe that means that you have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle...which is exactly what I have...which is something like a Dana 30/35 from what I gather. For my front axle it says "3400"...does anybody know what that means? And thanks for the info...basically it works like a locker...but only sometimes? Lol...I kinda get it...an electronic locker is just so much easier :p

-Fox

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Fox said:
I believe that means that you have a Chrysler 8.25 rear axle...which is exactly what I have...which is something like a Dana 30/35 from what I gather. For my front axle it says "3400"...does anybody know what that means? And thanks for the info...basically it works like a locker...but only sometimes? Lol...I kinda get it...an electronic locker is just so much easier :p

-Fox
I think your right about it being an 8.25. I am not sure waht the 3400 is on your axle. I was very pleased to find that i HAVE 3.92 Gears, My stang only has 2.73 LSD WTF was ford thinking, I guess that was there way to try to get some MPG out of the 5.0 Mustang.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
Email me you vin and I will check your build sheet.

Lol all you guys missed the most obvious way to check what your vehicle has, the vin number through chryslers dealerconnect system. You could call a dealership and see if they will bother to check for you, you I could check for you.

·
Registered
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I will get the vin off my truck, so leave your email and i will send it to you soon. Thanks Ben

1 - 15 of 15 Posts