Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 99 RC, the clear coat is totally shit.

The roof has no clear coat,it's flaking off, whats left of it anyway.

The rest of the truck has been clear coatless for sometime and the paint is now faded..it's Solar Yellow, but looks orange in sunlight.

Me and several friends are gonna paint it ourselves and maybe do a little 2 tone too.

My question is, how should we go about this? All the way down to metal? or just sand, prime and paint? Since the original problem was a shit paint job from the factory.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had the same problem with my dakota, i just sanded down the whole truck with 320 grit on a da sander, not down to the bare metal but past the flaking till the paint or under primer is good and scuffed. if you do any bondo or body work spot prime over that area and hand sand with 320. then seal base clear the whole truck.

·
Registered
2,043 Posts
No real easy way to fix it. All of the clear coat has to go in order to re-spray it. Some people just sand until they hit their basecoat and than spray new clear over it. The correct way would be to sand it down completely, shoot a new base, and than clear. Just depends on how much you want to spend really. Just keep in mind clear coat is tricky and takes awhile to get the hang of before it looks good.

·
Registered
139 Posts
this is what the front half looked like when sanded down i did this truck in stages while driving it

this is dupont dtm sealer

this is a dodge silver I laid down an hour later

then i taped off the stripes and painted purple then clear

bad paint pics

finished product

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Looks great man. come do mine. lol

I hadn't planned to just sand and new clear. We're gonna re-paint the whole truck. We have a guy who is experienced sprayer, so he's gonna be behind the gun.

This is how it looks now..

And a few other places like the last pic

·
Mopar 4 life
749 Posts
yea my old neons did that all the time. well all four of my neons did that! not that bad tho!! your truck has sun burn, and the skin is finally peeling!! or at least thats what i looks like lol :)

·
We Are 138
13,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Guess it's Solar yellow for a reason..sun burn lol

1 - 8 of 8 Posts