Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Sideways on Sundays
984 Posts
limpnkid2121 said:
yea i know that, performance wise though, is it worth it?
Yes, it's worth it. If you plan on doing any mods, it's a must. You prolly won't notice anything on the butt dyno, but it's definetely a good thing to do, especially if you're going to have a perf. pcm or superchips tuner. It'll help fight off the evil pinging (detonation).

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
limpnkid2121 said:
yea i know that, performance wise though, is it worth it?
if ur asking if its worth 13 dollars for a thermostat, 3 dollars for a gasket, and fifteen minutes of ur time, yeah its definitely worth it. Plus like everyone else said, its good for later mods.

· Registered
1,673 Posts
The concept behind it is this, and it's the same thinking as a cold air intake.

Cold air burns better. Thus, lowering the operating temp of your engine results in the air/fuel combination in the engine is slightly cooler, which burns better.

· Registered
227 Posts
Here's my question about it though, I'm from northern Ontario, and it gets mighty cold here in the winter, and the summers rarely reaches higher then 30degress celcius. is it worth it for me, even if i plan on modding, only reason i ask is because i have been told that with the temperature during the winter is could have a bad effect,

· Drop and destroy!!
209 Posts
It won't make any difference. The stat is gonna dictate at what temp your engine runs whether it's +30 or -30. The concept behind a 180* T-stat is that it makes the engine run a bit cooler. The air/fuel mixture will be adjusted accordingly for that temp range too. The cooler running engine along with the adjusted air/fuel ratio will help your truck perform better.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
its extremely easy and cheap, mine was like 12.95 at O Rileys, and like 3 bucks for the gasket. To instal it (on a 3.9 5.2 5.9) just get like a bucket, and ull only need one ratchet with an extension, i dont know the exact size of the bolts. Theres two of them on top of the Intake manifold, all u have to do is take the bolts out, use some longish pliers to take the old t stat out, and ur gonna wanna squeeze ur hand down there with like a razor blade or something to get the old gasket off. It is gonna leak some coolant when u start to loosen the bolts, dont worry about it, just go to a car wash and spray out ur engine compartment after ur all done. Then all u do is drop the new t stat in, make sure its seated right, and put the new gasket on the neck if its a sticky type, or drop it on top of the t stat, u might even wanna use some RTV Black around it to really seal it. then just put the goose neck back on the intake manifold and screw it back down, start engine to see if theres any leaks, and tighten bolts more if necessary. No one really told me how to do it, just where the T Stat is, and i went from there, and thats how i did it. Someone else will certainly chime in if im telling u something wrong

· Registered
1,673 Posts
I have long wanted to do this. I know the 4.7 has the t-stat in a strange place, but I have never bothered to look. Did I hear it is in the lower radiator hose? That would mean draining the entire system, but with winter coming, it might not be a bad idea anyway...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.