Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought these from a guy on dodgetalk. It was too good a deal, I paid more for shipping than he wanted for the headers themselves! One pipe is bent up after he attempted to install them in a Ram (they are supposedly for a Dakota), but I don't have much choice but to leave it that way.

There are no markings on them whatsoever, I would like to know what brand they are!

Maybe a JBA knock off?

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
how the hell did he bang the shit out of em like that? Umm if u go to a body shop or somewhere, they should be able to spot weld a couple of those dent puller pin things and u should be able to pull em out. Just an idea.

·
I like trucks
510 Posts
Yea I'd have that fixed...their not on the truck yet so what the hey....get it done now before you put em on and have it in the back of your mind all the time.

They can spot weld it and get it nice and hot.....pull those out like they were never there. :biggthump

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
could be JBA`s or Gibsons. those are the only two that are making headers for the 4.7 that i know of. need better pics, there *should* be a lable plate somehwere or a stamp of MFG.

hopefully they aint Ebay specials. :rant:

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How would I know if they are "ebay specials"? What would be wrong if they were?

I have compared them to pics of some JBA's, they are extremely similar, but NOT the same, there are some distinct differences. The welds are not as nice as I would expect from some place like JBA, there is no little pointy deal inside the collector. They do seem solid, not flimsy at all, though. They are used as well, so I know they work well enough.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
BlackDak said:
How would I know if they are "ebay specials"? What would be wrong if they were?
They could be mild steel instead of stainless. You should be able to tell. The pictures didn't look like it except you don't see any rust which you would see on mild steel. As you already noted the welds don't appear to have the same quality of JBA. Inferior welds tend to crack or leak. Fit is sometimes problematic.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
They look exacly like the Hedmann headers I sold to someone on the web. Minus the big dents of course.
Rob

·
Now Nitrous Injected!!!
704 Posts
There not Gibson's b/c I just bought a pair and they look really different.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Take a pic of the other side. Im abotu 99.99% sure theire hedmann. Looks liek at one point they had the high temp coating
Rob

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The two pics on top are the two sides. The dented one is the drivers side. for reference.

The good news, is that I found a shop that will go over them and fix them all up. The bad news, is that I have to take them all off and run stock manifolds for a week or so... :(

·
Getting Old
2,662 Posts
see, why didnt u get the dents out before? But then again, u might have messed em up again :jester: :joke: But now u know how to put em on. DId u say u didnt feel any difference? How about in the top end? I wish i could get some headers for 50 bucks...

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
No, I am not having them fix the dents, they still don't bother me. Maybe I didn't mention this here yet...

The flange on the drivers side is not flat, thus I over-torqued the bolts in an attempt to tighten it down, which is a VERY bad idea when bolting into an aluminum head! I stripped out two of the holes, one on each side. Dammit.

They are going to true up the flanges.

Actually, I wonder what would happen if I ran one header and one stock manifold? I know I stripped (or started to) a hole on the passenger side, but it is holding fine and not leaking. I have no real good reason to pull that side, it's just the passenger side.

I also meant to retract my statement about feeling no difference. I have noticed in the days following the install that is pulls like nobodies business right at 3k, before it shifts into second at WOT. Very nice. I have been able to light up some tire on occasion. I am happy with the results.

I just want to get the exhaust leak at the header fixed so that I can give the truck to the exhaust shop for duals!

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
BlackDak said:
Actually, I wonder what would happen if I ran one header and one stock manifold?

Probably have different scavanging effect probably sound liek crap too. I dont think youll have melt down or anything.
Rob

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.