Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a little extra cash right now and I'm looking to replace all my plugs. I've never even seen the ones I have in right now (I bought it used). My question is what are the best plugs for Performance/Fuel Economy? What gap should they be? I see Airram.com sells both the NGK Iridium IX ($64) and NGK V-Power ($24). I've heard that Autolites are the best for the 4.7L, but I have no idea. Thanks in advance, I got money burning a hole in my pocket! :jester:

B.T.W. Does anyone have a link for instructions on how to change out the plugs?

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
I have a little extra cash right now and I'm looking to replace all my plugs. I've never even seen the ones I have in right now (I bought it used). My question is what are the best plugs for Performance/Fuel Economy? What gap should they be? I see Airram.com sells both the NGK Iridium IX ($64) and NGK V-Power ($24). I've heard that Autolites are the best for the 4.7L, but I have no idea. Thanks in advance, I got money burning a hole in my pocket! :jester:

B.T.W. Does anyone have a link for instructions on how to change out the plugs?
If you search there are a ton of threads on this. I haven't looked in a while, but that's the first thing I did when I got my Durango a little over 3 years ago. Found tons of stuff on here, lots of opinions and which ones are better. I went with the NGK V-Power I think last time. Anyway, time for me to replace the ones in the new Dak, so I'm subscribed to this thread now. But I'll also start searching for all those old threads too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've always found that the factory Champion plugs work best for any Chrysler product. Many a time, customers have come in complaining that their vehicle runs like crap and they just tuned it up. We bring it in, pop the hood and find AC Delco or Autolites. Pull them out, put in used Champions and it runs beautifully. I've only put NGK's in once for my own vehicle, a 1984 K-car wagon.
And they were free!

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow, I guess everyone likes the NGK V-Power 2262, why doesn't anyone tell me to spend the money and get the NGK Iridium IX 6441?

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts
Wow, I guess everyone likes the NGK V-Power 2262, why doesn't anyone tell me to spend the money and get the NGK Iridium IX 6441?
Buy the 2262s and send me the extra money. PM for my PayPal addy.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I went out to Autozone and bought them for $20.12 (8), I hope I notice some sort of improvement!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
From the searching I've been doing, the 4.7 seems to run best on conventional spark plugs with a copper core, not platinum! I just put in some new NGK V Power plugs in mine a couple hours ago. I thought the truck ran smooth enough before, but damn man, I cant hardly tell if its running or not till I see the tach! I dont think I'v ever seen a smoother running engine in any other vehicle. Part number for the ones I got was ZFR6F 11G.

You'll defanetly see an improvment, your motor is gonna smooth as butter with those new NGK's.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From the searching I've been doing, the 4.7 seems to run best on conventional spark plugs with a copper core, not platinum! I just put in some new NGK V Power plugs in mine a couple hours ago. I thought the truck ran smooth enough before, but damn man, I cant hardly tell if its running or not till I see the tach! I dont think I'v ever seen a smoother running engine in any other vehicle. Part number for the ones I got was ZFR6F 11G.

You'll defanetly see an improvment, your motor is gonna smooth as butter with those new NGK's.
I went with the 5 heat range, what difference does that make?

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I dont even know lol.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
So after doing some reading on NGK's website, the #5 heat range you got is a hotter spark plug than what I got. I dont know how much of a difference their is in actual heat, but with a hotter spark plug, their is more surface area of the insulator nose exposed in the combustion chamber, and you have a more likely chance of pre-ignition. If you hear the engine pinging, switch out those #5's for a 6. Mine dont ping at all. The heat range has no relationship to how much electrical energy is being put into the actual spark.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hmmm I've heard that if you have mods like a superchips, it will reduce the chance of pinging. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
If you set it on performance you'll have to run higher octane gas anyways, which should get rid of the pinging.

·
150,XXX Miles
920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quick anyone! In my FSM, I can't find the correct gap for the 4.7L, what is it!!!!????

·
Dak-Dur 11th Most Wanted
12,282 Posts

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
2262 is not the correct plug for the 4.7. It's a common misconception, one that I used to spread around.

6987 is the correct plug. 2262's are a heat range hotter from what I know...they work fine (I still have them in mine actually) but aren't the correct plug.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts