Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Background:

A few weeks ago on my Dakota, I lifted up the driver's rubber floor mat and discovered that both the factory floor mat and the carpet were soaked, I thought it was just a leak in my rubber floor mats, so I sucked up what I could with a shop vac and let it dry.

BUT, I checked again recently and the carpet was wet again, mainly by the trans tunnel, but also a little wet by the area where the driver's feet are. I vacuumed that up again, and drove to the gas station and back (less than a mile), lifted up the (new) floor mat, and found that most of the driver's carpet (immediately in front of the seat) was wetter than it was before! The roads were damp, but I never drove through any standing water or puddles.

I did some searching on several forums and posts, but found nothing concrete for the driver's side wet carpet. I DID find out that it's common for the passenger's side carpet to get soaked due to the AC drain pipe issue (which is fixed by adding a 90 degree elbow, drain tube extention for a Caravan PN# 5264688 and some RTV.

Here's what I know so far:

- The passenger's side carpet is dry as a bone, which seems to rule out the AC drain tube on the passenger side
- The carpet up by the pedals is also dry.
- See the photo below, the area in red is where it was wet after driving only a short distance.
- The driver's side door seals look fine (someone on another forum said his carpet stopped getting wet when his doors were 'realigned' and he got new door seals)
- We crawled under the truck to look at the cab floor - there are a few areas with light surface rust, but nothing that looks like a hole that water could get up through. We did find out that nothing was holding a small heat shield on, and it fell off when we touched it, but that's totally unrelated.
- A post on another forum suggested a bad windshield seal, I haven't checked but I don't think that's the problem with my truck.
- Yet another forum post suggested failed seals around the windshield wipers or wiper transmission
- Other posts suggested failed or defective welds around sheetmetal in the cab body, or a rusty seam where the firewall meets the floor, but we didn't see any major rust issues during our first look.

I was hoping someone else may have had this issue on the driver's side, and found a fix that works.

Thanks!

I know that there have been other posts on this issue, but I'm trying to use this post to focus on the driver's side, which most other posts don't focus on. Hopefully we can use this topic to compile info/responses to the driver's side issue.

truck wet floor.jpg

·
Registered
725 Posts
There are a ton of possible leak sources. First question; has it been raining or snowing when you notice the wet carpet? Next question; has the roads been wet when you notice the wet carpet? Last question; have you checked the radiator, to see if you're low on coolant or notice a coolant smell?

In relation to the first question. If it's been raining, there could be a few places for water to enter the cab. It's common for leaks to occur around the windshield gasket/seal. They are made out of rubber and can dry rot, crack, or shrink. Door seals can suffer similar issues and there are a few areas in the cowl (wiper trough) that can leak. I know that some vehicles were built with troughs that are sealed with a heavy caulk material, and that caulk can break down over time and result in a leak.

Break out your lawn sprinkler and put it on your roof or hood and let it wet down the windshield area. Climb under the dash with a flashlight and look for drips, or water running down the firewall. If you see water, you can trace it back to it's source. On the outside chance your truck is equipped with a sun roof, sometimes they have drains that run down the inside of the windshield pillars. However when they clog up, the water ends up draining to the inside. It can flow under the headliner and down a pillar, wetting the carpet.

In relation to the second question, roads being wet. The only way water to get in from wet roads is you have a hole somewhere and that hole is probably caused from rust. You may want to inspect the floor for rust holes that are hidden. There is a seam that runs along the bottom of the firewall that could potentially rust and develop a leak. You can try the sprinkler test by placing the sprinkler under the cab while you look for signs of water with a flash light.

In relation to the third question. Check your radiator coolant level. Sometimes leaks develop in the heater core and coolant ends up inside the cab. Usually you'll notice coolant smell, but not always, if the coolant is old or mostly water. The best way to tell is to run the heater while looking for signs of leaks.

Ed

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Drove my dad's truck to work since he was taking the day off anyway. While I was gone, he lifted up the driver's carpet and vacuumed out some water.

It did rain overnight, and he said the carpet looked 'wetter' than it did the night before.

There were a few surface rust spots under the carpet, but no holes or anything that looked like it could leak water.

We'll see what else we can find - probably won't be able to dig into it more until the weekend.

truck water floor.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It rained overnight - I had to drive the truck to work, when I got home, I checked under the carpet and it was just a little wet under the carpet.

The plan is to take the seats and carpet out over the weekend, and put the seats back in so we can let the carpet air out and then figure out where the leak is.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is an update - we never bothered taking the seats and carpet out - we removed some trim pieces around the edges of the carpet so we could peel it back as far as we could, we tried using a shop vac to suck water out of the sound deadening carpet material under the carpet, but the vacuum was tearing that stuff apart. We put these yellow pads we had under the carpet (i think they were meant for soaking up oil) and left them under their to soak up some water.

The carpet is still very slightly damp to the touch, but it does not seem to be getting wetter.

We removed the cowl of the truck and sucked out about 20 years worth of seeds (see photo). We don't know if that was somehow the cause of the issue, but it can't hurt anything.

seeds in cowl.jpg

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here’s an update on my situation:

I was doing some brake work on my truck on the passenger side, and while I was working in that area anyway, I decided to remove the wheel well liner and install the tube that is designed to go over the AC drain on the firewall.
IMG_5964.JPG
After taking the liner out, I immediately found where water could be coming in on the passenger side. There were some rust holes on the sheet metal on the lower-rear side of the front passenger side wheel well.
I could actually see some sort of fabric or foam insulation material from the inside of the cab.
IMG_5956.JPG

I sealed it up the same way I sealed a hole in the bottom of my cab a few years ago.
First I went over the exposed rusty metal with a ‘rust reformer’ product that goes on white and turns the rust black. Then I used a black roof sealant product with a yellow reinforcing mesh. It’s not pretty, but it gets the job done fast, and the repair I did on the bottom of my cab years ago is still holding up.
IMG_5982.JPG
IMG_5988.JPG

SO, I suspect that the same situation exists on the drivers side of my truck, which has always had more water leaking in. I just hope there aren’t a bunch of holes on that side.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found a hole in the driver's side, in the same area as on the passenger side. Patched the hole with the same method last weekend.

BUT after heavy rains, there is still water getting under the carpet. Perhaps not quite as much as before, but still, some is getting in. I can actually lift up the carpet and insulation, and i can see the back of the hold repair we did, and it doesn't seem wet there.

Will look elsewhere under the cab and see if I can see anything.

The only other idea I found online is that the gasket for the hvac air intake is letting water in.

Attachments

·
Registered
725 Posts
Chances are, you have more rust holes somewhere letting water in. In this case, I'd pull out the carpets and have a good solid look at the entire floor.

Ed

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks for the tip, but i am unable to view your photos - seems to be an issue with photobucket - your photos are private
That is an issue with Photobucket, you have to add an extension to your browser to view the pictures. Photobucket got greedy last year and screwed its users, looking for our cash to host our pictures. The work around is to add the extension to your browser which enables the pictures to be seen. It's called something like Photobucket Fix, or something similar.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Finally an update - there were some small leaks up against the inside of the driver's side cab firewall, where I had previously patched, but a small trickle was still coming through - so i put some more sealant over those areas and there is no longer water coming in that area...

BUT water was still getting in - we were trying to figure out if it's coming in the cowl or the windshield seals - putting water on the roof showed that there is still a leak, see the photo - the red line shows how the water was trickling down the drivers side of the cab, after pealing back some black rubbery material from the driver's side inside of the cab. The black stuff is the sealant I was using - I kept sealing the front of the cab, behind the pedals, but I couldn't figure out how it was still coming in, but it was coming down the side, not the front...

truck leak source (1) a.jpg

·
Registered
395 Posts
I just saw your request for the pictures, so I'll recreate that other post using Imgur to post the pictures.

Hopefully you've found the leak source by now, if not, this may help you, or someone else.

Here's some information that some of you may like to see.

I recently had water on my drivers side floor after rain. I noticed my carpet was soaked, underneath my Husky floor mat. I noticed it would happen after any rain, and since I wasn't driving it during this time, I could eliminate some other common leak sources. I pulled the carpeting up to investigate. I noticed water dripping off of the bolt from the parking brake mount on the firewall and around the mount itself. It would drip down right in the conveniently located channel into the floorboard, as well as underneath the black padding beneath the channel. The carpet would get reeeeaaaaallllly soaked! My wet vac came in handy for sure.

I took a few pictures looking up further and did not notice any water above the brake mount.
After pulling the wiper cowl, I could not find a source of the leak, so I gave it to my mechanic.

He looked into it and ended up having to take out the dash, and found a weld had cracked in two places way up under the dash. He took it for a few days and used body filler to repair the leak. (picture to follow)

Here is a picture of a 2007 Dakota (not my Dakota) that has a nice big rust hole under the dash, you can see one big hole and also looks like some more areas are rusting down the line.

Here is the same picture, and the green line will show the weld areas that cracked in two places on my truck, allowing the water to leak through, onto my floor.
It's possible that the truck in the picture had the same repair done as mine, not sure though.

So this may be a spot that is causing some of your Dakota (& Ram) water leak issues.

Here is a picture of the whole dash removed, for your viewing pleasure...

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you for the photos, dakotaff!

These may be a big help to someone on this forum, but I recently found the cause of the issue.

We took the Dakota to a windshield place, and an employee there found the problem - along the top edge of the windshield, in certain places, the paint became de-laminated (detached) from the e-coat on the sheet metal - the actual seal on the windshield was fine. The windshield place did a little grinding on the metal and re sealed it.

The next time it rains, we will know for sure if the leak was fixed,

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread!

Also, as shown in my previous responses, the areas in the wheel wells were also a leak source, but those have also been patched.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had the same issue

I just saw your request for the pictures, so I'll recreate that other post using Imgur to post the pictures.

Hopefully you've found the leak source by now, if not, this may help you, or someone else.

Here's some information that some of you may like to see.

I recently had water on my drivers side floor after rain. I noticed my carpet was soaked, underneath my Husky floor mat. I noticed it would happen after any rain, and since I wasn't driving it during this time, I could eliminate some other common leak sources. I pulled the carpeting up to investigate. I noticed water dripping off of the bolt from the parking brake mount on the firewall and around the mount itself. It would drip down right in the conveniently located channel into the floorboard, as well as underneath the black padding beneath the channel. The carpet would get reeeeaaaaallllly soaked! My wet vac came in handy for sure.

I took a few pictures looking up further and did not notice any water above the brake mount.
After pulling the wiper cowl, I could not find a source of the leak, so I gave it to my mechanic.

He looked into it and ended up having to take out the dash, and found a weld had cracked in two places way up under the dash. He took it for a few days and used body filler to repair the leak. (picture to follow)

Here is a picture of a 2007 Dakota (not my Dakota) that has a nice big rust hole under the dash, you can see one big hole and also looks like some more areas are rusting down the line.

Here is the same picture, and the green line will show the weld areas that cracked in two places on my truck, allowing the water to leak through, onto my floor.
It's possible that the truck in the picture had the same repair done as mine, not sure though.

So this may be a spot that is causing some of your Dakota (& Ram) water leak issues.

Here is a picture of the whole dash removed, for your viewing pleasure...

I bought a used 99 Dakota. The first time it rained, the floor became soaked. Took it to a windshield place and they told me it was not the seal or windshield. Tried to look in the cowl and in the wheel well but couldn't find it. It turned out to be the welds had holes in them. When I took the carpet out to clean and dry it, I found out that this had been an issue for some time. There were actual tiny rust holes in the floor board of the driver's side front and rear. I ended up junking the truck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Background:

A few weeks ago on my Dakota, I lifted up the driver's rubber floor mat and discovered that both the factory floor mat and the carpet were soaked, I thought it was just a leak in my rubber floor mats, so I sucked up what I could with a shop vac and let it dry.

BUT, I checked again recently and the carpet was wet again, mainly by the trans tunnel, but also a little wet by the area where the driver's feet are. I vacuumed that up again, and drove to the gas station and back (less than a mile), lifted up the (new) floor mat, and found that most of the driver's carpet (immediately in front of the seat) was wetter than it was before! The roads were damp, but I never drove through any standing water or puddles.

I did some searching on several forums and posts, but found nothing concrete for the driver's side wet carpet. I DID find out that it's common for the passenger's side carpet to get soaked due to the AC drain pipe issue (which is fixed by adding a 90 degree elbow, drain tube extention for a Caravan PN# 5264688 and some RTV.

Here's what I know so far:

• The passenger's side carpet is dry as a bone, which seems to rule out the AC drain tube on the passenger side
  • The carpet up by the pedals is also dry.
  • See the photo below, the area in red is where it was wet after driving only a short distance.
  • The driver's side door seals look fine (someone on another forum said his carpet stopped getting wet when his doors were 'realigned' and he got new door seals)
  • We crawled under the truck to look at the cab floor - there are a few areas with light surface rust, but nothing that looks like a hole that water could get up through. We did find out that nothing was holding a small heat shield on, and it fell off when we touched it, but that's totally unrelated.
  • A post on another forum suggested a bad windshield seal, I haven't checked but I don't think that's the problem with my truck.
  • Yet another forum post suggested failed seals around the windshield wipers or wiper transmission
  • Other posts suggested failed or defective welds around sheetmetal in the cab body, or a rusty seam where the firewall meets the floor, but we didn't see any major rust issues during our first look.
I was hoping someone else may have had this issue on the driver's side, and found a fix that works.

Thanks!

I know that there have been other posts on this issue, but I'm trying to use this post to focus on the driver's side, which most other posts don't focus on. Hopefully we can use this topic to compile info/responses to the driver's side issue.

View attachment 104370
I have an 05 Durango with the same problem on the drivers side. I don't think it's the AC since it's not run in the winter. I thought maybe it was from snow on my boots but it happens when it's dry out.

Is it possible it's the heater core or something? I just don't see any place for it to be leaking from though. And it's not the windshield, no rain or water. It happens ALL the time.

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
156 Posts
If you're running your defroster -- that runs the AC and could result in water entering from the condensate drain.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts