Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Bitches come and get some
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Scott was actually driving, I was in the passenger seat messing with fuel and timing settings. Saturday night it had been performing pretty inconsistantly so we were having to switch the settings around a lot. Like one go it would do really nice, pull hard, everything was great, then you would do the same thing over again and it would start to cut out and mess up.

Anyway this past Saturday night we raced a 2005 WRX STi from like a 35 mph roll. It beat us by about 2 cars. My MAP sensor was reading too much boost thus causing problems and my #5 plug wire was apparently loose and just arcing. I would like to race him again now that I have fixed the aforementioned problems. He beats cars that run 12.7s, so I think it was a pretty good indicator of what's in store once I get a new transmission.

Sunday night we raced a modified 300z TT. He got the hit from like a car behind and we were dead even from a 60 mph roll on. After Scott let off at 95 mph because no one was pulling, the Nissan just took off, I had really wanted to try it again from an even start.

The STi driver is someone we know so that race could very well happen again once everything is lined out. The 300z TT was just some random kid I guess that heard the Durango's blow off valve while getting on the highway.

So yeah, with a dying transmission, 1 driver, 1 passenger, and on 20s, the Durango is hanging with some fast imports.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
F&F baby atleast you picking on the big boys.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haha well it wouldn't be fair to race things I absolutely know could be beaten. I'm not afraid to lose, I just want to see where it stands.

·
Blown and Squirted
2,513 Posts
Im betting the 300 owner didnt know what hit him. A 5500lb durango kept up with him lol. Thats one nice truck you got there. Cant wait to see itll run with more tuning and a built tranny.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think it weighs in right around 5000 with me and Scott. It's only 2wd so it is a lot lighter than other Durangos. But yeah, it's still a whole lot heavier than any of the cars that we raced this weekend. The owner of the STi was really cool about it, he was surprised it kept up as well as it did. The guy in the 300 was probably just a ricer with a decent car, I was totally expecting to get another race out of him, but nope.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I need to buy a grabber, I have a video camera, just nothing to get it on my computer.

·
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The flash from PPH is pretty simple. The transaction is arranged through Sam at SoCal Dakota. You send in your PCM to PPH with a detailed list of your modifications and a dyno graph if you have one. They reprogram your PCM for what mods you have. My biggest issues were the 24 lbs. injectors, the M1, and the supercharger, but especially the injectors because my Durango was running like absolute crap on the stock computer with those in. Anyway, as I understood it, it is called a "custom" flash because the reprogram is customized to your particular set up (especially if you send in a dyno graph) rather than a generic "M1 flash", etc. I was able to choose my new shift point, fuel cut off, whether or not I wanted an optimized fuel curve, and timing adjustments. One of the only reasons I went with the PPH flash as opposed to others was because of PPH's willingness to completely eliminate the speed governor, I had heard that other places like B&G do not like to completely eliminate it, but that's just what I heard, I could have wrong information. Either way, I'm happy with it, it runs awesome now since the flash, now I just need to get my new tranny :(

My ProCharger kit came with an AeroMotive Digital FMU. It allows me to adjust fuel settings for certain levels of boost but I think you can also use it to also do certain RPM ranges as well. Its primary purpose is to actually adjust fuel pressure.

That's what it looks like, only mine is black. And here is the product information: http://216.242.145.16/products/product.phtml?p=32&large=1

·
Happy 4th of July!
5,360 Posts
Wow, very interesting. but not really what I was hoping for. Guess I'll still have to go with a F.A.S.T. setup afterall. I need something tunable, cause ase you said, you chip gets flash'd. Well I live here at Jolly 5000 FT and the curves most places can flash SUCK. I want to be able to tweak my totally stock motor as it sits too, I want it indefinatly adjustable... FAST it is

Thanks for all the info on your setup though, VERY helpful!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.