Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
I have an 01 dakota and recently started having a weird problem. My dashlights dim out when I push on the brakes (the mileage area, the hud console, and the stereo). When I turn my right blinker on the mileage area and the stereo blink with it. I have a 4 month old battery and a almost year old alternator. Should I start pulling fuses and checking or would that be just wasting my time? Thanks!

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
With any electrical problem you should always check the battery and make sure it is fully charged. Also check the battery terminals to make sure they are nice and tight and don’t have any corrosion on them.

Age of a battery really doesn’t mean anything. If you have a parasitic battery drain somewhere, it could quickly drain a brand new battery. Check the voltage on the battery when the motor is off & when running. It should be between 12.4 & 12.8 when the truck is off, if not recharge the battery and see if the problem goes away. The battery should be over 14 volts when running, if not have your alternator tested at your local auto parts store.

If the battery checks out, and the problem still occurs, then you probably have a short between those two circuits. The dimming means that some other component (e.g. brake lights) is stealing power from the dash lights. Time to bush up on Voltage Drop tests. With a circuit diagram and some patience it shouldn’t be too difficult to track down.

Good luck...

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There's a remote start installed on it too and that has a few inline fuses with it. I replaced 2 of the fuses as they didn't look to good, and now the blinker works almost fine with the parking lights on (it blinks, but the arrow on the dash doesnt go as fast as the left one), but if I don't have the lights on the (HUD,mileage area, and stereo all flash together with just the right blinker and the left blinker and rear hazards flash too. But the left one works fine). Any other ideas on that?

·
The Anti-RUB
1,752 Posts
Remote starter units are notorious for causing electrical problems. Try removing it all together and see if that helps. It could be internally shorted, or the splices used to install it could be bad/shorting.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excuse my newness to remote starters and that, but is there a way to remove it without out removing my power locks and that ?(those use an aftermarket fob) I didnt have much time this week, but I've meaning to take off that lower steering shroud and look under there more closely, I know there are a few more inline fuses that probably should be replaced too (so this weekend I can hopefully tackle the issue for good)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts