Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
how come clearcoat paint & i don't get along well???!!!!.....i washed my truck with mequiars wash, then used their 'cleaner wax', then used 'gold class' wax....looks likes like crap!!!! looks like someone waxed it with crisco shortening!!!!..if you look down the side of the truck it has a waxy haze on it. waxed it in the shade & used terry towels & a chammy to try to remove it....neither worked well....thought about useing a clay bar, but i don't think it really needs it. besides....the way my luck is i'd mess that up to!!!!!(patriot blue so it relly sticks out) getting ready to sand it & camo it!!!!!!!!hell with this paint!!!!!!!!

·
Andrew
1,178 Posts
After it dries, try removing the wax with a micro-fiber towel. I haven't used anything better than one of those...they are awesome :biggthump

·
Sideways on Sundays
8,064 Posts
Sounds like maybe the wax didn't get dry enough before you removed it. Also, ditch the terry cloth, and get a 100% cotton polishing towel ( actually you'll need a few) or just use an old white t-shirt that's 100% cotton. I use the same wax products you used, just something different to remove the wax, and my paint looks flawless.

·
eat cheese or die!
663 Posts
sounds like you have too much wax on it. when you use cleaner wax you don't need to wax it too. try meguires three step system. 1. cleaner 2. polish 3. wax. whatever you do you need to remove all the wax first. the cleaner step will do that. it takes a bunch of elbow grease but the shine is worth it. good luck.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
blk03rt said:
Sounds like maybe the wax didn't get dry enough before you removed it. Also, ditch the terry cloth, and get a 100% cotton polishing towel ( actually you'll need a few) or just use an old white t-shirt that's 100% cotton. I use the same wax products you used, just something different to remove the wax, and my paint looks flawless.
thats kinda what i was thinking....did'nt dry all the way before i removed it...most of the time 30min. is enough though?????

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
you let the wax dry for 30 minutes?? , im no expert but i have had the same problem you did and it was becuase i let it dry to long, maybe...idk i could b wrong. but i think 30 minutes is a little long to let wax sit on ur truck

·
Registered
132 Posts
I would say 30 minutes would possibly be too long for it to dry. Depends on the temperature and other factors, but I would say 10-15 minutes tops? That is all I do, it comes to a nice haze in about 10 minutes. I am no wax expert though.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
to be honest, i never heard of leaving it on to long????....thats interesting.....thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Those micro fiber towels, I looked at one today. I'm assuming that that you'd need two or three towels to remove the wax right. Because I also saw a deatail towel that was seperate. Like a second step towel. Secondly, I never heard of leaving the wax sit for to long, or using to much. I know if it's hot, people say it bakes on, making it more difficult to remove. Just waxed my truck yesterday with turtle wax paste(it was free). Not happy at all. Lots of "dust"

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Not being a smart ass or anythin but are you using the same towel to apply the cleaner wax and final wax coat..... if so get diffrent towels.....also i have bin using turtle wax for a whiel and there was lots of dust but i was pretty happy with the shine.....but i just used the meguires 3 step system and wow! a hell of alot of elbo grease but wow!! what a shine..... looks like i just put a new layer of clear coat on there.......wow!!

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
was ur truck decent looking b4 the 3 step system, or did that jus make the shine absolutly brilliant

J

·
0 Posts
If your refering to me. No I use the applicator pad that comes with the wax(got it damp to like the directions call for). I've used Mothers three step product years ago on smaller vehicles. It worked nice, but those Durango's are so damn big. Dont know how you guy do the three steper on em. Yeah I know, all good things take time.

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
You cant remove wax with a chammy. Use cotton and let regular wax sit for liek 2-5 mins.

But Id just get teh zaino, its the best, easiest, and longest lasting "wax" money can buy.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Jason said:
If your refering to me. No I use the applicator pad that comes with the wax(got it damp to like the directions call for). I've used Mothers three step product years ago on smaller vehicles. It worked nice, but those Durango's are so damn big. Dont know how you guy do the three steper on em. Yeah I know, all good things take time.

Word of advice. Don't use the applicator pads, use bounty paper towels or something. ANd use paper towels when you wash your truck. Those spounges collect the dirt and particles in them and start acting like a fine sand paper after a while. Expecially wax applicator pads. Just a little info for ya.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts