Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have waterspots on my hood! Of course everyone else is like your truck looks great, but I know they are there! What do I do. I try to dry that area off first because it is such a problem but the just will not go away. :help:

Does this mean I will have to strip of the wax, use a cleaner, polish and wax?

T

·
0 Posts
dakota_john said:
I have waterspots on my hood! Of course everyone else is like your truck looks great, but I know they are there! What do I do. I try to dry that area off first because it is such a problem but the just will not go away. :help:

When you wash your truck, what do you use to dry it off?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A damp terry cloth towel, then a dry microfiber towel.

the damp towel to remove the excess water and the microfiber towel to get what's left, and leave a shiny finish.

·
Registered
7,583 Posts
walmart.waterspot remover or some shyt like spray detailer...works great!

T

·
0 Posts
dakota_john said:
A damp terry cloth towel, then a dry microfiber towel.

the damp towel to remove the excess water and the microfiber towel to get what's left, and leave a shiny finish.
That's odd, and you said that you dry the hood first? I cannot imagine that it's too hot where you live like here where you have to constantly keep watering down the truck to prevent it from air drying. I'd try Ace's suggestion with the water spot treatment (although I've never heard of it)... I may have to look into that myself. :biggthump

·
Registered
277 Posts
a good mixture of vinegar and water removes the spots of the jet skis pretty easily. i dont know if there is a real formula but just try 50/50. also sounds like it might be time for a good waxing. sometimes the quick detailer will get out the light ones if ya just have a few. the mr clean spot free is pretty good cause it will filter your water as well.

·
Registered
227 Posts
assuming you haven't waxed in waterspots by accidently waxing them "in" i would use meguiar's quik detailing spray. a quick spray and wipe then viola waterspots gone. this is a product many people that show their cars use and it works very well. i live off this stuff since i have black truck and often i'm left with a few spots in random places. so yes meguiar's quik detailing spray, use it and you'll love it unless you did wax them then you'll have to use a cleaner wax and redo.

·
July Truck of the Month
8,227 Posts
Yeah in AZ I've always gotta spray my truck every minute or two while drying to keep it from getting waterspots. It's a total bitch in the summertime. It's well worth it though because the truck looks spotless after a wash, try doing that from now on. But to address the waterspot situation now....of course waxing the truck will get rid of it, but it wouldn't hurt to try the detail spray.

·
Premium Member
2,494 Posts
G-12718 NXT Generation™ Tech Wax
X-3080 Even-Coat Applicator
G-12664 NXT Generation™ Car Wash
G-12824 NXT Generation™ Spray Wax
G-12924 NXT Generation™ Tech Protect
G-13224 NXT Generation™ Speed Detailer
G-13005 NXT Generation™ All Metal Polysh
G-13324 NXT Generation™ Glass Cleaner
G-12515 NXT Generation™ Tire Cleaner
G-13115 NXT Generation™ Insane Shine Tire Spray
X-3000 Deep Pile Chenille Wash Mitt
X-2020 Supreme Shine Microfiber (Three-Pack)
X-2060 Duo-Fiber Glass Super Towel
X-2070 Microfiber Super Suede Drying Towel
X-1130 Triple Duty Detail Brush
X-1120 Slide Lock Detail Brush
X-1030 Versa-Angle Body Brush
X-1020 Versa-Angle Wheel Face Brush
X-3060 Microfiber Quik Detail Pad
A) NXT Generation™ Collection
NXTS05 $109.95 (save $21.86)
(Products can only be shipped via UPS Ground
They also have a Water spot remover for Boats Not sure if it would be safe on Automotive Paint though

·
Registered
3,844 Posts
bigtexantim said:
a good mixture of vinegar and water removes the spots of the jet skis pretty easily. i dont know if there is a real formula but just try 50/50. .
There is a actual thing to get rid of hard spots. Its used for boats. I had jet skis and they were SPOTLESS. i used to use vinegar and water but I got this stuff called Duckys. Most if not all boat stores carry it. I think it was 7$ a bottle
Rob

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
dakota_john said:

dont even bother to dry it. waterspots are caused by the water your washing the truck with..(hard water...too many sediments in it), get the MR clean auto dry kit. you'll love it! i use it all the time, and get NO water spots at all. do a good washing, then srince, then use the water purifier setting and re-rince. then do the clay bar treatment (best to do this in the shade too for all of this), do one panel at a time, then get some good mothers or zaino wax, you will be amazed at how it comes out.

·
Registered
928 Posts
realdeal7369 said:
dont even bother to dry it. waterspots are caused by the water your washing the truck with..(hard water...too many sediments in it), get the MR clean auto dry kit. you'll love it! i use it all the time, and get NO water spots at all. do a good washing, then srince, then use the water purifier setting and re-rince. then do the clay bar treatment (best to do this in the shade too for all of this), do one panel at a time, then get some good mothers or zaino wax, you will be amazed at how it comes out.

You do know that clay bars are used to remove wax right? I hope so.

When you wash your truck and before drying, rub the paint with your hand. It should be perfectly smooth. The water should fill in ANY inperfection and your paint should literaly feel like glass, but water can't fill water, so if the water spots are under the wax then you can feel them.
If you can feel the spots than you're gonna need a high-speed buffer and some good compounds to do it right...Then re-wax.
I use RaceGlaze sealant which gets rid of imperfections like water spots then seals the paint. I put Pinnacle Souveran Wax on top of that.

I am a detailer, so if you want some tips PM me, or visit autopia.org.

http://stratous.250free.com/My_Truck/7.jpg : here is a picture of my fender.

V

·
0 Posts
I have had a ton of problems with waterspots at my new house, and I totally agree its all about the water your useing, I now use the Mr. Clean autowash deal and the thing looks great, I just need to park on a slight decline so the purified water rolls off the hood and roof but other then that the clean water just evaporates leaving no water spots anywhere.

·
One of the Elite
1,736 Posts
What i do... is take a normal Spray bottle, like you can get at wal mart for like $1.00 and fill it up with the same water you are squirting your truck with, while you are drying it, if certain areas dry before you get to them, use the spray bottle, and wet the area, then use whatever you use to dry it. I use the Aquadry chamois from Wal Mart. Its some kind of super absorbant rubber chamois, and it will not scratch your paint. The reason I use the same water I use out of the hose is because it stands to reason, if the water you use is creating the water spots, it can also be used to remove them. Fight fire with fire, or in this case, water with water.

As for getting water spots off that are already trapped, you might have to do what has already been mentioned. Try using Dawn detergent, which will strip all wax, drying it in sections, or with the spray bottle like I mentioned, and then using a clay bar (work magic) and then finally waxing it. This stuff works. I have a black truck, and am also pretty good at detailing myself.

~CYCLONE_06

·
G.F.Y racing president
9,424 Posts
Bryan said:
You do know that clay bars are used to remove wax right? I hope so.

When you wash your truck and before drying, rub the paint with your hand. It should be perfectly smooth. The water should fill in ANY inperfection and your paint should literaly feel like glass, but water can't fill water, so if the water spots are under the wax then you can feel them.
If you can feel the spots than you're gonna need a high-speed buffer and some good compounds to do it right...Then re-wax.
I use RaceGlaze sealant which gets rid of imperfections like water spots then seals the paint. I put Pinnacle Souveran Wax on top of that.

I am a detailer, so if you want some tips PM me, or visit autopia.org.

http://stratous.250free.com/My_Truck/7.jpg : here is a picture of my fender.
um, yeah i do know. thanks :biggthump what i think i was getitng at was to lwt whoever want to know, what i do. ill wash the truck, then clay bar it. probably wash it again if its really bad, then, dot he steps of wax on wax off. Im dying to try that zaino stuff. but i have to wait until i have the coin to get the bed of my truck redone. the bed is rough. i need a new tailgate, and some body work dont on it. holes filled (from the plastic bedliner), then painted, then line-x'd. long way to go, before i start going nuts with the detailing though.

·
Registered
498 Posts
If none of those suggestions work, do what I do and drive thru a mud hole. Covers all the spots...hehehehe :joke:

·
Registered
928 Posts
chris4x4 said:
If none of those suggestions work, do what I do and drive thru a mud hole. Covers all the spots...hehehehe :joke:

Not really, it just adds spots that are cool to look at.

RealDeal - Zaino is great for the money...Terrific shine. Before waxing hit it with a sealant like Klasse AIO, or Raceglaze. Klasse is known for a enhanced shine also. And if you are willing to spend the $70, I am in love with Pinnacle. Pinnacle gave such a long lasting deep shine. I havn't waxed in months and wash it with cheap soap and everytime I wash it, it looks just waxed. That ofcouse is helped by the sealant.

I know you already want Zaino, and I say go for it. It's very popular and works everytime. I am just throwing in my 2 cents about Pinnacle.
www.pinnaclewax.com

1 - 18 of 18 Posts