Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a quick question, On a 2000 durango 4x4 with no mods, what is the max amount of water one can safely go through? Im new to the truck scene (had a hyundai accent before this) so I wanna get into off roading. Recently we had a huge rainfall and the roads flooded. Well, like a dumbass I went driving through it (about 1-2ft) acouple times. Today, i realized that may have not been a good idea without knowing about it. I saw that breather tube on someones post coming from the diff. is that something i should do? Im already planning on changing the diff fluids, tranny fluid and adjusting the "transmission bands" since i dont know the last time it had this done. Is there anything else i should add to my list that will help with my off roading adventures? Im slowly building my list of mods to do based on this boards suggestions, but lack of funds means i have to do the important stuff. sorry for this turning into sorta a long post.

·
Banned
6,056 Posts
Of course depending on how deep of water you're crossing, you'll need to make the proper precautions for it. My stock rear diff breather was just over 2ft from the ground, which isn't very high. It sits right in the middle of the frame rail. I relocated mine to just about 4ft from the ground. You can see the thread here:

http://www.dakota-durango.com/forum/showthread.php?t=10148

You really don't need to, unless you're going in water about this deep:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v126/YellowKota2k/Silver Lake 7-16-05/DSC04239.jpg

From what I just measured, you could go through water about 2ft deep without any problems. This is to the top of my rim. This is also assuming the lowest breather is also the rear diff, and it's in about the same spot. The tranny, transfercase, and front differential should be much higher and you'll be fine with those, as long as you don't get to the top of the tire.

Besides the breather, you'll want to make sure your e-fan is shut off before going in the water.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to never go in water that is higher that the bottom of the doors. On alot of vehicles the PCM is in the passenger side footwell. Once the PCM get wet, you never know what will happen next. i am sure there are alot of people that have been in really deep water and has nad nothing bad happen. I myself try to stay out of deep water whenever I off-road anything. Good luck and have fun. :biggthump

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
I went through water once that was about as deep as my 33 inch tires were tall. I was sweating bullets. I only did it because trucks were stuck on either side and that was the only way to go to winch them out

Rob

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the good info on this. I guess im going to do the trans "snorkel" just to be safe. Usually, on in big water 8"+ i go alot slower so i dont rip anything off (lost my exhaust and ripped a hole in the floor while driving 30mph through a 10" puddle in my old car) and for smaller stuff 1"-8" i go as fast as i can. better to be safe than sorry

·
Registered
253 Posts
i know in my truck ive been about halfway up the doors is water. A friend of mine and myself checked out this mudhole and it looked like it was not to deep but we did not have anything to stick down there with, and a couple of days later i went back and went threw it, i still dont know how i made it threw cause my intake was underwater and everything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.