Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 99' Durango, 4wd, 5.2l, 130k. I was on my way home and started hearing an intermitant screeching noise. I pulled over right away and it looked like the fan was wobbling a bit and the surp belt was trying to jump off the pulley that the fan is attached to. I was about a mile from home so limped it back and it got louder and more consistant as I went. I parked it and can wiggle the fan back and forth, quite a bit of play in that pulley. I assume that is the water pump and a bearing may have went out? Sorry never done this one. I did not lose any coolant. I read on here a while back about a trick to remove that fan nut without buying the special tool if anyone happens to have a link. I will pull out my hanes when I get back tonight and do some more searching on here but just wanted any advice as I will be borrowing a vehicle for work until I get this fixed. Thanks

·
Mongo lift heavy things..
385 Posts
Either your fan is loose & getting ready to go through the hood or your water pump needs to be replaced. I'm on my 2nd crappoZone wp. I don't remember needing a special tool to remove the fan, it's been off for too long, just a big crescent wrench...and gloves.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I pull on the fan I can see the whole assembly moving, not just the fan itself. But if just the fan is loose is it the 5 bolts or so that bolt it to the clutch? I just called autozone haha, was going to pick up a new duralast pump with lifetime warranty for $59.99. Were you getting the valuecraft? Just wondering if I should go with something different.

I need to limp it about 4 miles to my tools and cover to work on it, is that a bad idea? I can bring everything over to my place if I have to I would hate to have that fan take out the rad or something else...

·
Mongo lift heavy things..
385 Posts
Yeah, I probably got the Valuecraft. No idea how much a dealership wants. Get a big adjustable wrench & a long phillips screwdriver that's small enough to fit in the hole on the backside(?) of the fan, to keep it from turning, while you crank that nut off the front. Up to you if you feel like it can make it 4 more miles. Most accidents happen within 10 miles of home....but don't qoute me on that.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Don't forget to pick up the bypass hose while at the store. Way too hard to change by itself and it's only about $5.

Autozone will rent you the Ford fan tool that will fit the Dodge nut (1-7/16, I think) and you'll need a holder bar. I used a piece of angle with a pair of spring pins in holes drilled to fit a pair of adjoining pulley holes.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys, finished up a few hours ago. Luckily I have an awesome neighbor who volunteered his tools and help so I wouldnt have to drive it. That fan nut was a bitch (we both have the knuckle busters to prove it haha), we finally hammered a crow bar inbetween the pump and pulley and gave the crescent wrench a good wack with the mini sledge to break it loose. I could tell from the bypass and bottom rad hose clamps that someone has already changed it, especially once I pulled the pump off from the gasket. It seemed whoever did it used some type of glue or something on the bypass hose (both ends...) so there was no way around it, had to cut it off and pull the alternator/ac comp/bracket. Had to pull out the manual and realized there was one last bracket bolt hidden underneath the idler pulley which didnt seem like it needed removing which was the only other stump. All in all it wasnt to bad and it took us a little under 3 hours start to finish. Its nice knowing how to pull all this stuff when I finally do my much needed plenum gasket soon, Mobil 1 is getting expensive.....Thank again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts