Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got a leak last night, thought it was the pump seal, turns outs its the gasket of the piece thats behind the water pump. Anyone know what this is called? Also the cradle that hold up the alternator and the A/C, well one of the heads broke off and this piece isn't coming off... Any ideas what to do? Its the bolt that attaches the water pump neck to the cradle. See attached pics for where the leak is and the bolt that broke. I tried grinding down the head a bit but nothing

·
DrPepper
1,150 Posts
I'm old school....

any bolt that goes thru or into a water jacket has the threads painted with Permatex Aviation Form-a-Gasket #3 sealer it's the stuff that looks like molasses in a small can. I think RTV is over rated for sealing in some applications. Here is a link...
http://www.permatex.com/products/Automotive/automotive_gasketing/gasket_sealants.htm
When I changed the waterpump on my 3.9 the gasket was painted and bolt threads coated with #3. I don't know what the stuff is but it never dries out.

Just another opinion

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
can i remove the timing cover with that girdle at the top still attached? Because its not coming off... also does the crank pulley have to come off and what all else is involved in removing this timing cover? any oil pan bolts?

·
Registered Loser
2,342 Posts
can i remove the timing cover with that girdle at the top still attached? Because its not coming off... also does the crank pulley have to come off and what all else is involved in removing this timing cover? any oil pan bolts?
There is a bolt under each side of the pan, running up into the cover.
Yes, the balancer has to be removed.

What "girdle"? I can't see anything in the hugeass pics.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
the girdle that holds the alternator and the a/c onto... one bolt is stripped...you can see i nthe second picture there has been some grinding. I tried to grind down the head to get it out but it didnt work

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Geez, sure looks like the T-stat gasket is leaking to me. That can make it look like the water pump is leaking, BTDT.

As for fixing the rest, buy a new timing cover, gasket, and possibly a timing chain set. You will be better off doing all of that.

Brian

1 - 9 of 9 Posts