Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just recently replaced the water pump on my Dodge Dakota my truck has the 318 5.2 liter v8 magnum in it and I’m trying to find out how to drain all the old antifreeze and replace with new and also how much does it actually hold someone told me the other day I need to purchase 4 gallons of 50/50 mix for it but that just don’t sound right to me please help

·
C'mon Dodge - NEW DAKOTA
2003 Dakota Club Cab Sport 4.7L
197 Posts
Your owner's manual will tell you the capacity. There is a drain petcock on the radiator and probably one on the engine block. These may need replacing.

I installed a flush tee and did a complete chemical flush when I rebuilt my cooling system.

Once you do that, and the water runs clear, you drain the system again and fill it to 1/2 capacity with STRAIGHT antifreeze. Then start adding water and burp the system as necessary. If you did things right it should take the same amount of water as it did antifreeze.

You can use premix, but it's more expensive and there is no real advantage.

Realize that your cooling system is 24 years old -- consider replacing the other serviceable components now. Radiator, cap, hoses, belt, idler, fan clutch, etc..... if it hasn't been done.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I think I finally got enough water in the system but I’m still smelling the over heating smell and I’m hearing something that’s squealing making like a bearing noise when I replaced the water pump I replaced the belt tensioner and fan clutch as well

·
Registered
15 Posts
So I think I finally got enough water in the system but I’m still smelling the over heating smell and I’m hearing something that’s squealing making like a bearing noise when I replaced the water pump I replaced the belt tensioner and fan clutch as well
That over heating smell could be the oil, that gets about as hot as the water. Why don't you check the alternator for the noise. I normally use a long screwdriver for that job, put the handle up to your ear and the tip of the screwdriver on what you want to listen too. Just hope the squealing noise isn't a bearing in the engine. And there are drain plugs on both sides of the block down low.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts