Dakota Durango Forum banner

Water in passenger side floor

21K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Rusty Boltz 
#1 ·
Yes its true.....i was cleaning out the dakota and went to vacumm out the passenger side....and behold floormat and floor soaking wet....just in the middle of it....talked to some ppl and they all said sounds like my ac drain might be clogged brought it to my buddys place and they stuck a wire in there and said it felt fine....its not the heater coil cause it seems like its just in the middle of the floor......I dont know what else to do its still gittin water in there pls help :rant::rant:

#3 ·
yes it has been raining here but my truck stays in the garage.....the thing is i just got my ac back and runnin bout a month ago and just seen today bout the water on the floor been smelling like that must smell from the water but never did look at the floor....and no i dont smell no coolant leakin....should i try to blow air in the drain or like a wire or something in it?

#4 ·
You could try to blow some air through there, but it depends on what if anything is blocking it. Could just be the airflow through the engine keeping the condensate from draining when driving. There is a retrofit kit from a Caravan that you can put on the drain spout to keep that from happening.

#7 ·
went to a buddys house and messed with it a bit got a metal coat hanger...and bent it so it can fit inside of it....felt kinda clogged up so keep pushing the hanger in and out....think we got it all out not sure but when i started it up and put the ac back on its like cold air coming out of it....cant tell if the floor stopped or not cause its still wet....but now i went back out there let the truck run for a while and where the drain is its like hot air coming out....i dont git it anymore bout to just give up

G
#8 ·
I hope you didn't poke a hole in your evaporator core with the coat hanger. Very, very seldom does the drain hole get clogged up. It's a design problem by Chrysler!!

The AC drain tube is pointing straight out. While driving down the road with the AC or deforster on, the incoming air into the engine bay from the front is strong enough to keep the water from draining out of the drain tube, the water builds up and drains out inside the truck running down the inside of the firewall and collects under the carpet.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER force ANYTHING inside the drain tube because the evaporator core is just inside and you run a very high risk of puncturing it. Anybody that tells you to do that don't know what the hell they're talking about and are giving you some real dipshit advice! If you did puncture the evaporator core, you have to remove the whole dash inside to replace it.

#9 ·
well lets hope we didnt do that...i dont think we went really like forced it in there....but after we did run it threw a couple of times u can feel and hear the water coming out of it....so before we messed with it i didnt feel no air or anything out of it and now i feel cold air in the begining and hot air now....so i hope i didnt puncture or mess anything else up in the process of doing this guess time will tell

#11 ·
ya it was down for bout year and half maybe more.....if its unclogged will i be able to feel air blowing out of it? cause i can now...got some towels down on the floor now and crapet and padding dryin....hopefully it will be all dry by morning and i can see if its fixed or not on my way to work

#13 ·
well hopefully its fixed ill post again tomorrow when i git home and let yall know what i found keep fingers crossed for me

#14 ·
problem is still there....thought we fixed it but its still there....went to work monday felt kinda cool so didnt have the ac on....went home after work...with the ac on...got home bout driving an hour still dry....woke up this morning and it was soaked....dryed it all out again...drove with the ac on this morning and yet again soaked.....bah guess im gonna mess with it again sat when i git a day off....gonna try to blow it out this time...runnin out of ideas

#17 ·
gonna stop tomorrow evening from work and pick it up :woot:

#19 ·
Okay my turn. I have this happening on mo 02 Durango. Looked behind the valve cover and noticed they have a plate covering the tube. Seems like its there to block the air from blowing the water back in ? Should I just break this off ? I have to order the extension tube. Did this solve the problem ? Did you take up the carpet to dry up the floor ?

#20 ·
Well I just pulled up the carpet and took out about a gallon of fucking water !!! I ordered the extension tube today. I hope this solves the problem. I didn't see any obvious signs of where it's coming from. I am just guessing its the same problem everyone else is having. I have a de-humidifier inside the truck now to dry out the carpets.

#21 ·
Time to bring this problem back to the top. I don't know why it took 17 years for it to show up, but it did. After reading several threads on this forum, I watched a few videos on Youtube.
Some of the videos indicated it would be necessary to remove the front wheel and inner fender. One video suggested that wasn't necessary; just crawl under the truck, remove the heat shield, and apply high temp sealant around the drain tube. so I tried it.
It worked! Problem solved. I re-installed the heat shield.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.