Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as some of you may know my truck caught fire and burned to the ground. Well Being as it took 15 minutes for the fire dept. to arrive there was nothing left to determine what exactly started the fire.

Tonight I was selling off some extra Dakota parts I had to a guy from Craigslist and after talking a bit he told me the same thing had happened to his truck. He lived across the street from the fire dept. and they were outside so they ran right over and got it out quick. It was then determined that the washer fluid reservoir had been leaking and dripping down on some stock wiring. Now washer fluid being corrosive slowly ate at the wires till the insulation had come off a few cause them to make contact and start a fire.

Now i can't say this was what happened to my truck (although it was determined that was the area where the fire started) and I can't say it will happen to anyone else's truck but I figure it was worth putting the info out here for all to see. Hopefully this post saves one truck.

·
9,487 Posts
Sorry but he's full of shit. Washer fluid isn't THAT corrosive. It's dilute ethanol, not acid. There is no way in hell that washer fluid could eat the TXL wire insulation used in vehicles. If it could, it would also burn a hole through the sheet metal every time you washed the windshield.

·
408,R3,Indy Heads,Twin66s
2,743 Posts
I don't know. It seems possible. If it were a slow steady drip it could potentially weaken degrade the insulation. Not to mention the 20+ years of heat and vibration to go along with it.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
200,000 miles the wires wear out along with the drip and salt here in MN. It does not surprise me. Sure uncommon but it's something to watch out for.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
I'm thinking it could be probable, heat, age, etc takes its toll on the insulation combined with a steady source of moisture over a few years that starts corroding the conductor which builds resistance which causes heat... Maybe it could happen.

·
<---1 of none!
6,583 Posts
I would tend to think it is more likely to have been a power wire for a stereo passing through the firewall without a grommet protecting it from rubbing on the steel and getting cut causing a dead short to the battery, or some similar situation. The washer fluid thing would have to be extremely remote I would think.

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Looking at mine, I wouldn't be surprised if you have moisture wicked into the bulkhead connector at the firewall as the cause either.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts