Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, here's a problem that has me stumped.

'02 Dakota, 3.9, 5-speed. 103k miles.

Occasionally, when I start the truck after it has been sitting for 2-3 hours, it will drive fine for about 500 feet, then start to sputter and backfire. No amount of throttle will get the engine to clear up, and accelerate. However, if I push the clutch in, rev it a few times, and resume driving, the problem is cleared up.

This only happens when the engine is started, after sitting for 2-3 hours (i.e. not stone cold).

Plugs and wires are good. Cam angle sensor was replaced ~5k miles ago. According to my scan tool, the TPS is OK. No codes are present.

I understand that the distributor can cause these problems, due to a "loose" cam angle target. However, when I test mine, it is solid.

Thoughts?

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, finally thew a code today.

Scan tool says "Oxygen Sensor 1, Bank 1 Slow to respond"

I will install a new O2 sensor tonight. I'm not hopeful...that's not like any O2 sensor failure I've seen.

Guess I'm the only one who has had this problem.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, new O2 sensor is in.

The stumble...is better, but still there.

I've noticed it (the stumble) seems to happen when the computer changes from open loop to closed loop.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still happening.

I replaced the distributor yesterday...no change.

The stumble occurs when the truck transitions from open loop to closed loop. Does anyone have a definitive list of sensors the PCM monitors during closed loop?

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm going to try to snag a crank position sensor and two denso o2 sensors tomorrow an the junk yard.

We'll see.

It kinda sucks that others have had this problem, and no real definitive answers exist.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Mine is doing a very similar thing. Mine has aorund 73K. Been doing it for the last year or so. I did a full tune-up and that did not do much at all. I am very interested in any possible fix for it.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, another couple hours of searching the internet, and a lot of people point to oxygen sensors, coolant temp sensors, and distributors.

I already replaced the distributor.

Seems people have also had problems with anything but Denso oxygen sensors, so I ordered new ones.

I also ordered a new coolant temp sensor. For $5 from Rock Auto...how could I go wrong?

I have also been told to check the MAP sensor vacuum connector. Mine is fine, but check yours.

I'll update when the parts get here and I install them.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just an FYI - it did it again this morning, but only after about 30-45 seconds from being started. I just can't imagine that is long enough for the coolant temp to be reaching 180 to get out of open loop programming.

Hopefully, it's the coolant temp sensor. I'll update when I install it.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I'll update this again - not at anyone seems to care, unless there is a pissing match about HID's or whether oil can travel "uphill" or not...but...

I replaced the coolant temp sensor and both upstream O2 sensors this morning.

The O2's were replaced with Denso brand sensors, same as OEM.

I have taken two short drives in the truck since the repair. No backfire or shuddering.

It'll take a week for me to consider this solved. I'll update again (like anyone is reading anyhow...) next week with the verdict.

·
Frog Legs
1,602 Posts
I am reading this.:wave::wave: I lost 2 drivers side exhaust manifold bolts and my truck has been throwing a #3 cyl misfire for months. I only just found the bolts missing so I hope once I replace the exhaust manifold gasket and reinstall 2 new bolts this will solve my code. I have in the past replaced cps, tps, coil, cap and rotor, plugs and wires and after all of that it was when I found out about the exhaust manifold.

Just sayin....

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Currently 168 views, so we ARE interested:waiting:
Thanks, it is good to know someone out there is interested!

I drove it again this afternoon to grab dinner...ran great. Idled smoother than ever before, temp gauge read just slightly different (cooler), and best of all, no backfiring.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for a few more days, but I'm cautiously optimistic that it is solved.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am reading this.:wave::wave: I lost 2 drivers side exhaust manifold bolts and my truck has been throwing a #3 cyl misfire for months. I only just found the bolts missing so I hope once I replace the exhaust manifold gasket and reinstall 2 new bolts this will solve my code. I have in the past replaced cps, tps, coil, cap and rotor, plugs and wires and after all of that it was when I found out about the exhaust manifold.

Just sayin....
You must have posed when I was replying to Sleepy. Thanks for reading, and I am glad that others are getting benefit out of the thread.

·
Registered
50 Posts
My Dak has been experiencing this for about 2-3 yrs. Mainly with the AC on. I have never data logged but it happens after a couple of mins running. I changed the IAC, TPS, Cap & rotor, plugs, check for vacuum leaks, injection cleaning, checked my Accel 300 & coil (by disconnecting them and using stock coil) and recently all O2 sensors (just got it back today). I will drive it over the weekend to see if this is cleared up.

Usually, I can rev it and it goes away and never happens while driving. Two shops could not reproduce the stutter or sputter. No CELs. Really puzzling.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, it's not quite been a week - but I'm ready to call this one fixed.

Seems that the problems were wither the coolant temp sensor or the oxygen sensors. What pisses me off about it all - I replaced the o2 sensors about a year and half ago...but I used Standard Motor Products brand.

When I replaced them a week ago, I replaced them with Denso sensors - which are the OE sensors. Right away, it cleared up, and its been gone ever since.

If you have a scanner - see how fast your truck goes from open loop to closed loop. If you don't have a scanner, I'd recommend replacing both the coolant temp sensor and the 02 sensors with Denso brand 02 sensors.

·
Registered
7 Posts
emjohn, I was wondering if your truck is still OK mine is doing the same thing and I was going to start with the o2 sensors first,if you can let me know how your truck is running thank you

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
emjohn, I was wondering if your truck is still OK mine is doing the same thing and I was going to start with the o2 sensors first,if you can let me know how your truck is running thank you
Yup, it is still running good.

Wish I did Denso O2 sensors first....

1 - 20 of 56 Posts