Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i have a 02 kota w/a 3.9 and want to get a little more power, i am selling my grand prix and will have about 3500$ from that. with that said i want to keep 2 grand for the truck....what would be some good ideas to get a little more HP?

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Bumping dakota said:
ok i have a 02 kota w/a 3.9 and want to get a little more power, i am selling my grand prix and will have about 3500$ from that. with that said i want to keep 2 grand for the truck....what would be some good ideas to get a little more HP?
for 2g u could do a V8 swap...would be the most bang for the buck.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
MagnumDak said:
http://dakotausa.com/vBulletin/showthread.php?t=25826 remote turbo-kinda extreme but that is one end of the spectrum, the other is-throttle body, port the factory heads and put some headers on it. if you can get in the 200 rear wheel area you will be with a factory r/t just a thought
he will b faster then a factory rt with 200 to the ground :) i say save up and get a blower. 2k is about what i paid for mine all said and done

318 Posts
then you have to worry about the fuel tuning issue and that crap when using the blower, and yes factory r/t are normally around 190 rear wheel (thanks for the correction) I just feel for 2k you are not going to get a very realiable and trustworthy setup. do a "couple" searches and see what you can find, supposedly there are some 3.9's putting up some decent numbers on here........oh yeah I forgot JMO

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
MagnumDak said:
then you have to worry about the fuel tuning issue and that crap when using the blower, and yes factory r/t are normally around 190 rear wheel (thanks for the correction) I just feel for 2k you are not going to get a very realiable and trustworthy setup. do a "couple" searches and see what you can find, supposedly there are some 3.9's putting up some decent numbers on here........oh yeah I forgot JMO
i wasent correcting you at all...just saying that 200 to the ground in a v6 dak will b faster then a factory rt, i duno what they put to the ground stock, i was just stating i know from expeirance. tuning, he can use the left over 500 to tune the blower. it would cost him about 2500 to get a v8 and put it in...to have less power then he would of with a blower on the v6 and sum other small mods. my set up is very trustworthy

· Registered
1,673 Posts
I just went through this situation, where I had a bunch of cash for my truck all of a sudden. Now, we have different engines, but the basics still apply.

Cold air intake
Headers
Exhaust

Keep in mind, you are going to be tempted to make some cosmetic changes, I know I was, and bowed down to them! Set aside some money in your head for that as well!

· Registered
1,673 Posts
Maybe a slight drop and paint your fender flares, that out to be be good for at least $400. There are the "old faithful" mods it seems most of us do, grill inserts, clear corners, tint, etc. Just trying to help you plan ahead a little!

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Slow97dakota said:
to have less power then he would of with a blower on the v6 and sum other small mods. my set up is very trustworthy
yeah, and ur gonna be stuck only beating stock or barely modded trucks for the rest of ur life

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
DownBoi said:
yeah, and ur gonna be stuck only beating stock or barely modded trucks for the rest of ur life
hahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahhaha. that was one of the funniest things i think i have ever read....please explain to me how this statement is close to true? u know nothing of my my truck. lts see before the heads and cam, when my mods were cai, underdrives, 3.90s, v8 tb, 1.7's, full exhaust, ported intake manifold, full ignition and a 100 shot i was beating 99-03 lightnings on the street. they had little to no mods but it dosent matter that put me in the area of a 13.70-13.90's. now the trucks got heads/cam added to that combo, with 10 lbs of boost, and a tune...with very good possibilites of a 50 shot. now that will put me in the area of 13.30's give or take alittle, just on the boost. nitrous will bump me into the 12's. hmmm thats alot faster then a v8 huh? seeing as stock rt's are usually 14.9-15.7. catch me if u can :woowoo:

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
like i said, ur gonna be beating STOCK vehicles for the rest of ur life...do everything to a V8, and maybe not even all of it, throw it in the same truck....exactly. And either way, if all he did was throw a blower on it, it still wouldnt be all that and a bag of chips unless he forked out even more cash like u did.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
DownBoi said:
like i said, ur gonna be beating STOCK vehicles for the rest of ur life...do everything to a V8, and maybe not even all of it, throw it in the same truck....exactly. And either way, if all he did was throw a blower on it, it still wouldnt be all that and a bag of chips unless he forked out even more cash like u did.
umm u still didint explain on how ill be only beating "stock" vehicles for the rest of my life..a high 12 or low a 13 is good enough to beat many non stock cars/trucks. every 1 thorws a v8 in, i like to see the looks on peoples faces after i start the truck and crush em. do what u like n ill do what i like im content with a low 13 sec daily driver.

· Getting Old
2,662 Posts
Slow97dakota said:
umm u still didint explain on how ill be only beating "stock" vehicles for the rest of my life..a high 12 or low a 13 is good enough to beat many non stock cars/trucks. every 1 thorws a v8 in, i like to see the looks on peoples faces after i start the truck and crush em. do what u like n ill do what i like im content with a low 13 sec daily driver.
and better gas mileage...and i never said YOU'LL be stuck, i meant hell be stuck. JUST a blower on his truck wont get him very far. Youve put a shit load of money and work into ur engine, he hasnt. If he had a V8, hed have a better platform to work off of. I just wanna do a V8 swap cuz i dont wanna put money into this 10 year old engine.

· Registered
285 Posts
Bumping dakota said:
The usual man....

intake
exhaust
header
throttle body
good ignition setup
maybe some nitrous
good time to switch to synthetic fluids

All that will take a nice chunk of that 2g's.

· Chest Thumper
770 Posts
i still say get a blower. or have ur heads ported, put in a cam, port your intake manifold, 1.6 rr, and a full exhaust with a v8 tb. that should eat up about 1300 ish...depending on the tranny and the rear gears now....gears

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.