Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Work in progress...
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, for christmas I got a $50 gift card to Best Buy so I decided I'd like to get a new head unit. Since I don't really need a new one, I'd like to spend about $100 (total of 150). Right now I have a JVC, which is the second one I've owned, and the second one to suck horribly. So I'm thinking I'll probably get a pioneer or alpine. I want something that will not skip when it's cold out and I hit a bump, and has an auxilary port for a USB flash drive. So hit me with your suggestions!

·
Registered
727 Posts
Find a JVC KDBT1, best stereo I've ever owned.

i'm trying to figure out how to fit an AVIC D3 inside the dakota cause id like in dash navigation

·
Work in progress...
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah I'm thinking the USB port would be really nice. Anyone know anything about navigating through your music when it's on a flash drive like that? I would imagine some decks have better systems than others for finding a specific artist, song, etc on your flash drive...

·
7,610 Posts
ive had cheap cd players before n i cant stand them, course live n learn, last 2 cd player ive had were alpine and they have actually been something i'll stand by, both still work and bein used -wifes car- which hers is 6yrs old n mine is 3yrs old.

they have the power output for amps, quality sound, look good etc

·
Scrapin the Coast
715 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking the USB port would be really nice. Anyone know anything about navigating through your music when it's on a flash drive like that? I would imagine some decks have better systems than others for finding a specific artist, song, etc on your flash drive...
I have a Pioneer and use the flash drive for all my music. All you have to do is make a folder on the flash drive and just drag your music to that folder. When you plug the drive into the cd player you can just navigate through all your folders that you created.

I use Limewire to download music. I will open the folder on the flash drive and once the music has finished downloading I will just drag the downloaded song to the folder.

·
Work in progress...
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright cool, thanks for the advice. I think it's gunna be a tossup between pioneer and alpine.... anyone else have any thoughts to swing me one way or the other?

·
Registered
3 Posts
For my two cents worth, I only repair original equipment radios because they are much higher quality than the aftermarket one-size-fits-none cheapies. Nothing can beat the Chrysler cd / cassette combo radios for reliability, durability, and low tendency to skip. They are mostly built by Mitsubishi.

The cd-only radios are built by Alpine and have more issues. Of the thousands of radios I've bought, sold, or repaired over the last 18 years, I have never had a bad cd laser assembly in the Mitsubishi radios. I have had four bad ones in the Alpine radios, but that's still nothing compared to the 100 percent failure rate of GM cd players. What is really frustrating though is Alpine's refusal to make their parts or service manuals available to us. I can't support a company that won't support their customers. My vote, if you don't want the quality of the Mitsubishi units, is anything OTHER than an Alpine product.

caradiodoc

·
Work in progress...
936 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, another vote for pioneer. That 3100 model might be the one I get. It has the features I want, looks nice, and doesn't cost too much.

Maybe I got one of the few lemons, but I wasn't very satisfied with my factory radio in my D. It had problems with skipping when the temperatures would drop, but not as bad as this JVC that I have now. However, WMA and MP3 CDs never skip. Anyone have an expanation for why only the regular audio CDs skip only when it gets cold?

·
Registered
30 Posts
I love my Kenwood eXceleon KDC-X693. It has both USB input and Aux. input. It is a pretty sweet unit IMO, but I might be biased as this is the first one I have owned.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
For my two cents worth, I only repair original equipment radios because they are much higher quality than the aftermarket one-size-fits-none cheapies. Nothing can beat the Chrysler cd / cassette combo radios for reliability, durability, and low tendency to skip. They are mostly built by Mitsubishi.

The cd-only radios are built by Alpine and have more issues. Of the thousands of radios I've bought, sold, or repaired over the last 18 years, I have never had a bad cd laser assembly in the Mitsubishi radios. I have had four bad ones in the Alpine radios, but that's still nothing compared to the 100 percent failure rate of GM cd players. What is really frustrating though is Alpine's refusal to make their parts or service manuals available to us. I can't support a company that won't support their customers. My vote, if you don't want the quality of the Mitsubishi units, is anything OTHER than an Alpine product.

caradiodoc
OEM stereos with a name brand on it are no where near the quality of aftermarket units of said name brand. Reliability is subjective, but performance and sound quality, NO COMPARISON! Aftermarket hands down, and have you messed with any Alpine product made as of lately? They are known for having quality products that perform and last.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts