Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Vortech on my 98 Dakota was starting to get noisy so I pulled it off and dismantled it. Upon inspection I found the seal behind the impeller was starting to weep and bearings didn’t feel as smooth as they should. To my surprise Vortech will not sell the parts to the public and I have been unable to locate quality high-speed bearings to fit.

At this point I’d hate to have to send it to them for a rebuild so I’ll save that for a last resort. I’m hoping to find either a source for the proper bearings or a better head unit that is reasonably priced. I’m also considering fabricating a turbo set up and using the air hat with the extra injectors that came with the Vortech kit.

The truck in question is a 98 Dakota with a 5.2 and a 5 speed. It was running about 12 PSI and except for two blown intake gaskets it has been trouble free since I installed the blower about 30,000 miles ago. Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

·
Registered
50 Posts
fzmax said:
The Vortech on my 98 Dakota was starting to get noisy so I pulled it off and dismantled it. Upon inspection I found the seal behind the impeller was starting to weep and bearings didn’t feel as smooth as they should. To my surprise Vortech will not sell the parts to the public and I have been unable to locate quality high-speed bearings to fit.

At this point I’d hate to have to send it to them for a rebuild so I’ll save that for a last resort. I’m hoping to find either a source for the proper bearings or a better head unit that is reasonably priced. I’m also considering fabricating a turbo set up and using the air hat with the extra injectors that came with the Vortech kit.

The truck in question is a 98 Dakota with a 5.2 and a 5 speed. It was running about 12 PSI and except for two blown intake gaskets it has been trouble free since I installed the blower about 30,000 miles ago. Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.
I have a Vortech for sale( see for sale post).
Kevin
SYRT

·
Home Owner....
1,722 Posts
well, ya got two options here, maybe three:

1) send it back to VORTEC and re-install it.

2) same as above except sell it

3) use money from sale and buy a PAXTON.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I think I found a source for the bearings and seals, Supercharger Rebuilds. I sent them an email and I will post here when they get back to me. Their site is pretty weak but it lists the bearings and seals for $295. Not cheap but better than paying Vortech more to rebuild it.

·
It's not my fault!
299 Posts
fzmax said:
Well, I think I found a source for the bearings and seals, Supercharger Rebuilds. I sent them an email and I will post here when they get back to me. Their site is pretty weak but it lists the bearings and seals for $295. Not cheap but better than paying Vortech more to rebuild it.
He is a good guy. I know of a couple people who have used him to rebuild Powerdynes, both on Daks and Stangs. I've talked to him a couple times about finding 7 and 8 rib pulleys, he was pretty cool on finding some in his parts stash. The guys that have him rebuild the Powerdynes have all been happy with the work, and really makes the Powerdyne a much more reliable blower. Still not in the league of Paxton/Vortech, but good for those on a budget. I would thin the work he does on a Vortech would be just as good.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I got the bearings and seals today and put them in the blower. After hooking up the oil lines I ran it for a while without the belt to make sure it got enough lube and that there were no leaks. Then I put the belt on and ran it for a few minutes in the garage. Sounds normal but time will tell if the bearings and seals are as good as the ones Vortech puts in from the factory. I couldn't take it for a spirited ride as we are in the middle of having an ice storm. Hopefully this crap will get off the roads soon.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.