Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How are you guys that have installed Viper seats in a club cab gaining access to the back seats?

I just installed mine on the factory rails with a 1" tube and four 1/4" spacers. I have full Forward/Reverse control but when folding the seat I do not have enough room to slide into the back.

Thanks, Neil

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
Unfortunately rear-seat access is extremely difficult with Viper seats, since they barely tilt forward. I have 3 small kids and I usually have to let them crawl over the seat and go through the middle.

I am tempted to take my seats to an upholstery shop and find out what causes the seats to tilt forward as little as they do, and see if there's a way to modify the hardware to allow it to tilt more.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi SinCity R/T,

Thanks for the fast reply.

This is your site correct? If so good job.

I will take a pic of the seat without the lower cushion and post it tomorrow evening. I am not exactly sure but I think my seats a gen 1. The back and base are plastic and not carpet.

It seems to me that if the spring/piston were lengthened or replaced with one having greater travel and a notch was added to the lower back (so the swing of the frame clears the base) we could increase forward tilt enough to access the rear.

Alot of work to be sure but for me not have access is a problem.

I am also thinking about how I want to do the leather. Basic Black or something more out there. Have you seen anything cool that would work with a Black Dak?

Thanks again, Neil

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
My seats are Gen II - carpeted back, with leather inserts.

I can't imagine it being too difficult to make the seats tilt more, since just about every other seat with a tilting back can do it. I'm going to be replacing my seat back soon so I'll post some feedback once I dig inside.

I have been tempted to do a dual-color leather setup, with silver on the outside edge and black in the middle, but most of the shops I've talked to who do custom leather patterns for the Viper seats want $1400-2000 for just the front pair - a lot more than I care to spend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts