Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
OK I have kind of a dumb question because I never really thought about it before will Dodge Viper Brake calipers bolt on directly or is there some mods involved. The reason I ask is that my brakes rotors are warped and the pads are almost gone so time to up grade and since I am already under the truck if I could get those calipers as a direct bolt on it would be great. Thanks in advance for the help

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
I just answered my own question by looking at the brake parts listing they won't fit oh well.

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
I want to just change rotors and calipers and I don't want to change the spindles and hubs to do it. I think baer makes a kit I saw someone trying to start a group buy a while back.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I talked to Baer today and they said they might have someing for our trucks in the new year (I'm not sure what happend with that GP). I"m with you I only want calipers, rotors, and pads. I haven't talked to Scott at GSM yet but you might not need some of the parts he menttiones on the web with different wheels and that we are not looking to covert the rear drums. Just some info for you. Kevin

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
why would you have to change the hubs? vipers use the same bolt pattern as dak/durango's... to use the viper calipers and rotors you need adaptors to lift the caliper and you need to machine the stock spindle... the ear's that support the stock caliper need to come off to clear the bigger rotor. There is some extra machining required if your gonna use r/t wheels, they are a really tight fit and will hit the caliper if you don't do some extra triming.

it's an awesome upgrade... I would look into getting 4 viper front calipers... they are 4 piston... the rear are only 2 piston... look at the SRT-10 vipers and they have 4 piston calipers all around... and don't have the brake probs like the Gen I and II vipers do when you push them hard. thus why so many viper guy's go to stoptech or Baer brakes. A stoptech kit would be awesome on a dak but it's kinda $$$.

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
SS Brakes makes a more basic disc brake conversion kit for the Dakotas. Obviously the rotors and hardware isn't as large as the Viper kit, but you can also get it done for about $600 vs. about $1700-2000 for the Vipers. You get what you pay for with the GS Motorsports kit - they look absolutely amazing and stop on a dime, but not everyone can afford it.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I have the SSBC rear disc kit... it's a definate step in the right direction... but this thing needs way more brake... I think i'm gonna do my fronts soon, but kinda wanna wait till the 20's come along... that way I can use a 15" rotor... yeah i'm gonna make my own bracket and machine the spindly myself...

the calipers aren't too bad... can find them for like $150-200 each... it's those damn 2 piece rotors that suck... Eradispeed are like $1200 for 4 15" rotors.... but damn, do they look sick.

saw something on speed chanel, they put a stoptech brake upgrade on an escalade, it had 24's and 17" rotors... those were the biggest f-ing rotors I have ever seen... OMG they were huge... kinda off topic but thought it was cool.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts