Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a 99 5.9 that is fairly healthy. My low end torque was always good. I could punch it at a light and make my sub woofer box roll over. Sometime in December, I got my differential rebuilt (it has 3.92 gears), ever since then it's been a dog. I took it back to the shop who rebuilt it and they said nothing is wrong on their end. When I punch it I hear a whistle noise and it dogs until 1500 RPM and then its normal. If I cruise and punch it, it kicks down and moves out. I've taken it out the exhaust shop in nothing is clogged up.

Do anyone have a clue on whats going on? It's driving me crazy. My trans was also rebuilt a few years ago and it shifts fine.

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
4,364 Posts
Reputable shop? Hell they probably put 3.21's in there cause it was cheaper and they figure you'll never know.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's was a Mr. Transmission. They claim they just changed to differential and put my same gears back on. I guess I'll let another trans shop tell me what gear is in it.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Perhaps the cat converter is on its way out. With any performance degradation I'd look at that first, as it'll restrict the exhaust flow.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I took it to a exhaust shop nothing is clogged.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Is your D 4x4? If it is, they can't change the rear gear without changing the front or you'll have some major problems.

Put it in 4wd and drive in a straight line, if it trys to hop and bind, the rear gears are wrong. If it drives fine and normal (in a straight line only), the gears are not your problem.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is your D 4x4? If it is, they can't change the rear gear without changing the front or you'll have some major problems.

Put it in 4wd and drive in a straight line, if it trys to hop and bind, the rear gears are wrong. If it drives fine and normal (in a straight line only), the gears are not your problem.
Ok I'll check

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
ouch better disconnect front shaft. Surely they would know to replace front gears also.

if not theyre idiots and you have expensive repairs coming.

just curious what did you pay for the regear? we should be able to tell if they did both from hearing the price

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got the different replaced. It cost $1200. The truck has been in 4x4 since then. It felt fine.

·
"][" {[]} {[]} ][_ 
17,338 Posts
honestly though it shouldnt matter if they are geared differently. That is as long as you dont put it in 4wd lo or hi

1 - 11 of 11 Posts