Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a build sheet or something on a 2000 Dodge Durango SLT that will show options that the vehicle came with. Wanting to know things like rear gear ratio, limited slip or not, GVWR and towing ratings. Any where to get that information?

It is a 2000 Durango SLT 4WD with the 4.7 V8 and automatic tranny.

S

·
0 Posts
Eric, open up your glove box and look on the door of it. There should be a white label there with numbers like 3.55 corporate or 3.92 limited. You can also look (least on the dakotas) on the rear axle driver side and there is a white band that wraps around the rear end next to the rear leaf. It will tell you axle size and ratio as well.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Again, thanks. It was right where you said. It shows the 3.55 Corporate. With that and the owner's maual, that then means a max trailer weight of 4400 lbs. Not what I was wanting to hear as the smaller of the boats we are looking at will be right around 5000 pounds with boat and trailer.

S

·
0 Posts
Don't know what to tell you know. Sorry. Might look at getting overloads for the rear leafs but I don't know if that will really gain you anything. I've got a '97 F250 Diesel for pullin my stuff so... can't help much.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, originally when I sold my truck, we were looking at a 2001 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the PSD, but I need something a little more practical in regards to gas mileage for the amount of time I spend on the road for work. Plus, some of the vehicle I have been looking at can be had relatively cheap which means extra money for the "family toy". Guess we will just see what we can do. First need to get the trailer tow package setup with wire harness and hitch (since it didn't come with it), along with trailer brakes, and possibly rear air bags or something. And go from there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am in a similar quandry.:( See my post in general discussion. I do show the 4.7 at 4650 max weight in what I've got. The best Durango/Dakota is the 5.9 2wd, its rated at 7550. All the 5.9's I find are plain jane. It seems a bunch were ordered for fleet duty and are now coming off lease. THe only trailer tow 5.9's or 4.7's I have been able to find have been 4wd, or awd.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My buddy pulls his 25' proline with his 2wd Durango 4.7 all the time with no problem. I've got the 5.2 4x4 and I think I could pull a house down if I had to.

How big is your boat?

I live in Florida so it's max an hour to the water with no hills.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, we are still shopping, but we weren't really limited before because I had my truck. Now we will have just the Durango to tow with. We are looking at 2 different boats:

1) 26V Profile - listed boat weight of 3600 plus about 1200 or so for the trailer

2) 29V Profile - listed boat weight of 4850 pounds, plus trailer on top of that.

Thinking we will have to go with the 26 footer until we get a bigger tow vehicle.

·
0 Posts
tow mw

eric, i have a 01 durangoslt+ 4.7litter 4wd, i pull a 5000lb boat no problem. What you want to be conserned with is the width of the boat. Here in RI anyuthing over 8'6" wide you can not leagally tow. Most boats over 24 feet have a beam of 8'6 or greater, so be carefull. I sell boats for a living. The othere thing is the toungue weight of the trailer. You can set it up for less than 10% of the trailer/boat package. I do no think you wil have anytrouble pulling more than 5000lb with a class three hitch, as long as your not going into the mountains. Derek

·
Registered
599 Posts
the tow weight and the tounge weight are two different things. As long as your not stacking all that weight on the tounge you should be fine.....with the 4.7 you might be wishing for some more power when it comes time to pull your boat up a steep launch ramp :dammit: but other than that you should do well.

>edit: what he said ^^^ about tounge weight:D <

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just be sure that if you decide to tow ith it you get a tranny cooler installed if you dont already have one.

I searched hi and low for my 2003 Durango SLT becuae I wanted the tow package, 5.9, skids and limited slip....I settled for one without skids (added myself) and the limited slip (will add that one day).....

The tow package, IMHO, is EXCELLENT.....bigger alternator, bigger battery, tranny cooler, hitch and wiring, wiring for elec brakes and extra engine cooling.....

DZ

Eric91Z said:
Well, originally when I sold my truck, we were looking at a 2001 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the PSD, but I need something a little more practical in regards to gas mileage for the amount of time I spend on the road for work. Plus, some of the vehicle I have been looking at can be had relatively cheap which means extra money for the "family toy". Guess we will just see what we can do. First need to get the trailer tow package setup with wire harness and hitch (since it didn't come with it), along with trailer brakes, and possibly rear air bags or something. And go from there.

·
Registered
52 Posts
zavetsky said:
The tow package, IMHO, is EXCELLENT.....bigger alternator, bigger battery, tranny cooler, hitch and wiring, wiring for elec brakes and extra engine cooling.....

DZ

I agree, I found a perfect Durango but with the 4.7L it has the LSD, 3.92 gears and TT package. Now well just see how it does.

·
0 Posts
I tow a 5500LB Boat with 4.7L

I use my 03 SLT w/ 3.55 to tow my 24' center console. It sits on a tandem axle trailer. Note - I HAVE experienced a problem once while towing here in FL, after running about 65-70 for 45 mins on the highway, the tranny went into 3rd and wouldn't come out. I pulled over, stopped and then resumed and everything was fine. My guess is that it just got too hot. On the way home I kept it @ 60 and had no problems.

I'm going to install a beefy tranny cooler and don't expect to see any more problems. Oh, and when it comes to pulling up a steep ramp...NO PROBLEM.

·
Registered
3 Posts
this thread is very interesting. I have an 01 SLT 4.7 with 3.55's and tow package. and am looking at getting a camper. Everything in the mid 20' range is like 4700 - 4900. Think thats too heavy?

·
Registered
52 Posts
iamrazor said:
this thread is very interesting. I have an 01 SLT 4.7 with 3.55's and tow package. and am looking at getting a camper. Everything in the mid 20' range is like 4700 - 4900. Think thats too heavy?
I loved my Durango, but ended up selling it for a Ford 2500 Powerstroke. I was tearing the durango up towing my 20' enclosed car trailer. I was using the poor Durango like a pickup. Throwing motors in the back and such. I found myself just beating the shit out of the truck keeping up with my friends in front of me. Most of them were towing larger trailers with regular 1/2 ton trucks.

My advice try it and see how it does. The larger engine would be a much better choice.

Good luck!

·
Registered
79 Posts
WOW! Talk about an old thread coming back to life!! :mullet:

I agree.,...you'll just have to try it and see how it turns out.....My 5.9 with 3.90s has plenty of grunt...torque os what ya need for towing.....not sure how the 4.7 will do with 3.55s and a big trailer....terrain, etc will all come into play.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts