Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've been on the forums for a few days now and I've been searching and reading threads old and new, but I still have a few questions that I need answered as I've yet to find answers.

1)How do I correct the speedo on my 95 dak sport? If what I read is right then my dakota doesn't have a mechanical speedo cable it is electronic correct? I'm running a stock sized tire with 4.11 gears now and never corrected the speedo what do I need to do?

2) Since I'm still OBD1 being a 95 I'm going to need a 5.9 pcm and injectors from a 95 ram/van with a A518 trans for my swap to keep everything running correctly. The truck has no power options so I'm not worried about losing power windows or lock functions. Are there proms that a tuner can burn like some of the OBD1 gm cars?

3) I'm a little confused on what converter to run on a 5.9 swap. Some say you need a 5.9 converter and some say I can use the one that was on my 318. I would much rather use a converter that has a slightly higher stall but can still be used for towing as I'd like to pull a small trailer with 2 quads on it.

4) Has anyone used a Thumper cam from comp in a towing aplication?

Thats it for now I'm going to keep searching on some other forums any input is helpful.

Thanks-Jeff

·
Just a poor shlep......
625 Posts
Ok I've been on the forums for a few days now and I've been searching and reading threads old and new, but I still have a few questions that I need answered as I've yet to find answers.

1)How do I correct the speedo on my 95 dak sport? If what I read is right then my dakota doesn't have a mechanical speedo cable it is electronic correct? I'm running a stock sized tire with 4.11 gears now and never corrected the speedo what do I need to do?

2) Since I'm still OBD1 being a 95 I'm going to need a 5.9 pcm and injectors from a 95 ram/van with a A518 trans for my swap to keep everything running correctly. The truck has no power options so I'm not worried about losing power windows or lock functions. Are there proms that a tuner can burn like some of the OBD1 gm cars?

3) I'm a little confused on what converter to run on a 5.9 swap. Some say you need a 5.9 converter and some say I can use the one that was on my 318. I would much rather use a converter that has a slightly higher stall but can still be used for towing as I'd like to pull a small trailer with 2 quads on it.

4) Has anyone used a Thumper cam from comp in a towing aplication?

Thats it for now I'm going to keep searching on some other forums any input is helpful.

Thanks-Jeff
In order that I know to the best of my knowledge:

1.- Change your speedo gear in the transmission.

2.- Correct on the PCM, it has to be a same year and engine size. No idea on someone tuning them, they were not very popular to tune so no tuning products available that I know of.

3.- Since you have to run the 5.9 flexplate, I would use the 5.9 converter. I would find someone who can restall the converter if you want too. that would be your best bet.

4.- Not I.

HTH,
Brian

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
Both are right depending on the year the older trucks used a balance weight on the converter as it was indexed to the flexplate by one offset bolt hole. The 96(might have been a little later 98 at the latest) and up 360s used a balance weight on the flexplate(indexed to the engine) and a neutral balance TC like the 318 with a square bolt patter that doesn't line up the TC in any particular way with the engine. It doesn't really matter as long as they are matched properly.

In your case you can buy a TC for a 95 360 or if the crank sensor windows are the same use the flexplate off a newer 360 by opening up the offset hole enough to bolt the stock converter up. If your building any kind of power I would recommend not grinding the hole open because it will make it a little weaker.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
:bump:

Thanks for the info plum 95

As for the speedo gear change for the 4.11 I have out back where would I go to get the proper speedo gear? Google search didn't seem to be much help when looking for 4.11 gears.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just a little update for you guys, I purchased a 1995 5.9 and I dropped it off at the machine shop for some work. The heads were cracked but my stock 5.2 heads were ok. I got new bearings all around,rings, hone, and rebuild heads with chevy valve springs to work with my comp cam.

I'll get more details on the springs once I talk to my machinist in person. I hope to have the truck rolling around on it's own power again in 2-3 weeks.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts