Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a few posts on here and I have the same problem .
I had broken bolts on my ex manifold . But this is NOT where the noise is coming from.

I have A 2000 durango 4.7 when I first start it i get what sounds like noisy lifters. It lasts for about 2-3 secs then as the rpm's drop to where it idles the noise is gone and does not come back unless it sits for a bit ( cold start up ).

its almost like it takes the oil a few seconds to get up there. could this be engine sludge.??
if so what about these engine flushes you can have done at oil chage shop ....are they any good.?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
It's not sludge.

Its the lash adjusters. The only way to fix the problem is to replace all the lash adjusters which is somewhat of a pain. It's not going to hurt anything, just let it idle for a minute before setting off.

Switching to a quality oil filter (if you don't already) can help this to some extent. Mobil1, K&N and WIX are all good brands.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks....so i guess oil addatives wont quiet it down then?
I'm going to be selling it and i think that might turn some folks off . The noise was there when i bought it , i was not to worried cause i fix everything myself.

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
They make a device called an Accu-sump as well. It's really cool. I installed one on a friends SRT-10 and I might get one for my truck. Basically it's a giant cylinder with a piston in it and a hose that attaches to a sandwich plate between your oil filter. What it dose is, when you have the engine running, the oil pressure fills the cylinder up and pushes the piston to the end of the cylinder. As you shut the truck off a valve shuts locking in that pressure.

When you turn the key to start the truck, as soon as the ignition turns on it opens that valve and the piston forces all that oil up into the engine before the engine even cranks. No more dry starts. It resets automatically everytime.

·
3,954 Posts

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Yeah, those have been around for a while...pretty cool stuff.

So long as your vehicle doesn't sit for a long time, it's not really needed. Cool nonetheless.

·
3,954 Posts
Everytime you shut your vehicle off the oil drains to the pan. Yes there is oil still covering the parts for quite a while, but it's the the flow of oil that lubricates, not just oil covered parts. So each time you start your vehicle, you're doing some degree of harm from wear to the valvetrain until oil starts flowing to those areas..

·
Registered
728 Posts
miniscule amounts that might shave off a few thousand miles at the end of the engines' life...
not worth the money imo.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts