Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got done painting up my 4.7 valve covers.:mullet: I am very happy with the way they turned out. Didn't think I would be able to do them this nice myself but after getting a few quotes on getting them powder coated like this I decided I was gonna paint.

Just thought I would share.:D

·
Banned
7,625 Posts
They look great! Rep to ya

What kind of paint did you use? And the process?

Reactions: mthandt

·
Registered
245 Posts
:drool::drool::drool:

B-E-A--UTIFULL

Reactions: mthandt

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They look great! Rep to ya

What kind of paint did you use? And the process?
+1, I was gonna do mine, but couldnt figure out what paint to use. lol.
This is the paint I used for the whole thing:

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/engine.html

When I got the valve covers they were all nasty and oiled up so after soaking them in degreaser for awhile I scrubbed them up clean. Then the surface was all cast and unfinished so I hit them with some 120 grit sandpaper and really went to town on them to get them smooth. Once they were to my liking I hit them with some finer sandpaper (400) to get some of the deeper grooves out. After that I made sure to clean them up real well with dish soap and water and then hit them with some rubbing alcohol. Once they dried I sprayed them with the primer and blue paint following the directions on the cans. I let the blue paint cure for a week and in the mean time I went out and got two vinyls of the mopar emblem made for $12 bucks. After a week passed and the paint was fully cured I wetsanded them lightly with some 400 grit paper and then laid down the vinyls where I wanted them. Then I painted them black and peeled the vinyls off before the paint completely setup so the lines wouldn't be to hard. Then I clear coated with the paint. After all was said and done it ended up costing me around $30 bucks to paint them, most of the cost being because the damn paint is like $5 bucks a can.

:drool::drool::drool:

B-E-A--UTIFULL
Damn good job!
looks great. now be careful putting them on and keeping them from getting scratched in teh process

Thanks for the compliments guys and I'm gonna try my best not to get them messed up but I think we all now they are gonna get scratched and what not eventually. :(

·
Banned
25,820 Posts
Looks great, stold my idea! Sord of, I'm going to be doing mine a little different.

·
Registered
3,114 Posts
great job Matt!! you finally got them done.:mullet:

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
1 - 20 of 38 Posts