Dakota Durango Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Pulled the driver side cover last night to reseal due to it leaking after the engine had cooled. the Versachem Super Blue Type 613 was super easy to clean of the gasket and out of the head cover. Took all of 5 minutes to clean :banana2:

Applied a new bead of Super Blue, used the same routine as above and Im happy to report that after my drive to work and 4 hours of letting the motor cool, I have no more leaky valve covers :banana2: :banana2:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Permatex/Versachem Aviation #3

Both my valve covers had been leaking for the past couple years(not the factory install). Not anymore! :mullet: Called Permatex technical and got the list of the 5 different products that would solve this issue. Hylomar wasn't available to me, but I don't think I would have selected it anyway...I went with the aviation #3 gasket sealer. Put a thin coat of the #3 in the cover valley, both sides of the gasket, and a thin coat on the heads and reassembled. After 4 hours the sealant is ready for full operation and it is fully cured after 24 hours. I waited 24 hours to get the full cure before using the truck.

My old Fel-Pro gaskets were stiff and the head side was flat, so I elected to spend the $40 on a new set.

RTV (silicone) sealants are not recommended because they will not bond with the rubber gasket and oil could possibly still leak between the RTV and the gasket. The aviation #3 will coat the rubber and help it keep its elasticity over time. It will also withstand pressures up to 5000psi, which is a little less than the 4.7 crankcase pressure. :)

The simple things in life make me so happy, like valve covers that don't leak oil. It's also nice to fix it right the first time (not counting when I unknowingly screwed it up 2 years ago). :)
I hope this helps someone in the future. I highly recommend the Aviation #3.

Versachem version: ~$3.50
http://www.itwconsumer.com/catalog.aspx?prodID=33

Permatex version: ~$6
http://www.permatex.com/products/Au...tex_Aviation_Form-A-Gasket_No_3_Sealant_a.htm

DECEPTOR

·
Registered
2 Posts
Replacement valve cover gaskets grommets too short

I too had the problems like the rest of you with my 4.7 valve covers leaking after installing new gaskets and grommets. What I found was that the Fel-Pro grommets were just slightly shorter than the original. This prevented the grommet from putting the correct pressure on the valve cover gasket when the metal grommet insert came into contact with the milled surface of the head.

I cured this problem by installing a 3/32 wall O-ring between the metal washer under the 10mm head - which is the top of the grommet insert - and the rubber grommet. This allowed the grommet to put more pressure on the valve cover gasket but not so much pressure that it would deform or roll the gasket.

This fix will allow you to install the valve cover gaskets without having to use some type of sealant. The only gasket sealant that I used is Permatex high tack just to hold the gasket in place during the install procedure.

I have 1000+ miles and no leaks using this method. Before adding the 3/32 wall O-ring, I had taken off the valve cover gasket on the driver side three times in an attempt to keep the new gaskets from leaking.

Hope this helps.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts