Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an ever so slight leak on one bolt on the valve cover. Im running synthetic oil so Im sure that is part of the problem.

Does the valve cover have rub gaskets that are reusable or do they need to be replaced?

What torque spec do I use to tighten the covers?

·
1700 + 1/4 mile passes
27,261 Posts
I have an ever so slight leak on one bolt on the valve cover. Im running synthetic oil so Im sure that is part of the problem.

Does the valve cover have rub gaskets that are reusable or do they need to be replaced?

What torque spec do I use to tighten the covers?
I'm not sure of the tq specs but the gaskets are reusable

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
The gaskets are reusable but can get a little dried up and break when you are taking them off and break. Ask me how I know this. Needed a new set in a pinch and bought them from advanced auto for around 42 bucks. The covers need to be torqued down to 105 in-lbs.

Take note I said in-lbs

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
The covers have a torque limiting function built in...you can't overtighten and pinch the gasket.

Assuming the cover bolts are all tight, you likely need a new gasket.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
Yeah but you can over tighten and strip the head, not that I did this...... lol. I have to say thought that the new gaskets that I got were real nice and thick and squeezed down nicely when I torqued down the valve covers.

·
Jay
11,490 Posts
plus the bolts snap VERY easy. I torqued mine to spec and snapped two of them. I talked to a buddy at the dealership and he said he sees this all the time with the 4.7L mainly the drivers-side.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
good to know...ill clean up the covers tomorrow and then tighten up a bit and see if that fixes the problem.

·
Banned
9,045 Posts
dang, i had no idea they could snap that easy. i finally took my covers off the other day...and i just hand tightened then with a 3/8" ratchet...once the squeak a little i stopped...glad i didnt break any.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Should I pull the covers off completely or just try and tighten them up a bit?

What needs to be moved in order of the covers to come off?

Is there a torque pattern that needs to be followed?

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
Torque from center out. It's not that critical, but it's good practice to do that with everything.

Check the bolts first, if any aren't snug try that and see if the leak stops.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check the bolts first, if any aren't snug try that and see if the leak stops.
For the most part they were snug...

Leak is not bad and the truck is never low on oil...just a little residue on the lower side of the valve covers. Im going to clean them up this weekend and see if they are still leaking

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Well DAMN, about 6 months ago I replaced the gasket with FelPro gaskets and I still have the same problem :rant:

Im starting to think the oil slipping through between the valve cover grove and the gasket...not the gasket and the top of the head.

Any thoughts on fixing...Ive been thinking about pulling it and putting some RTV in the grove.

This is driving me nuts. :rant:

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
Well DAMN, about 6 months ago I replaced the gasket with FelPro gaskets and I still have the same problem :rant:

Im starting to think the oil slipping through between the valve cover grove and the gasket...not the gasket and the top of the head.

Any thoughts on fixing...Ive been thinking about pulling it and putting some RTV in the grove but I know the manual says not too.

This is driving me nuts. :rant:
If there is any old dried up oil, or other imperfections on the head - the gaskets won't seal properly.

One poster on the board had a valve cover leak - after the gaskets were replaced. Turns out that the "shop" that did it must have done the work outside, and a leaf was trapped under the gasket...causing the leak. Obviously, a very extreme example, but make sure that there is no debris on the gasket location, especially if you have had the valve covers off yourself.

I like to take a solvent (IPA, mineral spirits, gasoline, etc), and wipe down any surface that gets a gasket before installing. If no RTV is required - it cleans the surface, and if RTV is required, helps it bond better.

YMMV, and all that. No leaks on my trucks though, so it works for me.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there is any old dried up oil, or other imperfections on the head - the gaskets won't seal properly.

One poster on the board had a valve cover leak - after the gaskets were replaced. Turns out that the "shop" that did it must have done the work outside, and a leaf was trapped under the gasket...causing the leak. Obviously, a very extreme example, but make sure that there is no debris on the gasket location, especially if you have had the valve covers off yourself.

I like to take a solvent (IPA, mineral spirits, gasoline, etc), and wipe down any surface that gets a gasket before installing. If no RTV is required - it cleans the surface, and if RTV is required, helps it bond better.

YMMV, and all that. No leaks on my trucks though, so it works for me.
I may have to pull the covers again but I know for a fact I clean the surface before I re installed...but maybe I didnt do a good job.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update

Well yesterday I pulled both covers. Both gaskets were in good shape (they should be they just went in 3 months ago). I also took the time to clean the groves in the valve cover that the gasket sits in. I did not do this before which I wish I would have (live and learn)

However, at the end of the day I believe I have figured out what the issue has been all along (see picture below). On both sides of the motor towards the back there are two breathers that T together and they end up at the airbox. I think they are vents for the crank case fumes etc. Both hoses were cracked and had oil around them. This would explain why both valve covers were oiled towards the back and lower sides only.

New hoses are on and will report back...

·
BEACH BUM
2,441 Posts
nice... how easy is it to get the Valve covers on and off? seems like theres a good amount of stuff in the way. i have a small leak up forward on the passenger side. was thinking about replacing the gaskets and painting the covers while they were off.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
nice... how easy is it to get the Valve covers on and off? seems like theres a good amount of stuff in the way. i have a small leak up forward on the passenger side. was thinking about replacing the gaskets and painting the covers while they were off.
Well, I cheat...I have a 3in body list which from start to finish takes me about 2 hours :D

·
Premium Member
2,191 Posts
Thats a very common area for oil leaks to develop... another place where leaks can develope is on the dipstick tube where the bracket that holds the tube into the block goes. Over time excessive movement tends to brake the weld and open a hole right their on the top back side of the block... you will NEVER find where the leak is coming from without removing your intake manifold... I first thought it was a valve cover gasket... then a rear main seal... then after installing the Sullivan Intake I noticed the broken weld... and an open hole in the tube.

But the PCV hose is a very common place to find an oil leak.

SPEED SAFE, NICK

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
another place where leaks can develope is on the dipstick tube where the bracket that holds the tube into the block goes. Over time excessive movement tends to brake the weld and open a hole right their on the top back side of the block... you will NEVER find where the leak is coming from without removing your intake manifold... I first thought it was a valve cover gasket...
Well, Im still getting leaks on the lower side of the covers. (both sides)

I torqued the boths to 105 in lbs as per the manual etc...

Im stumped. Any other suggestions? Maybe I need to buy OEM gaskets vs the FelPro I have now?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts