Dakota Durango Forum banner

Vacation in danger!

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Rob454 
#1 ·
Well, I put in for some time off from work since my last vacation was back in July and for the amount of hours I work every two weeks, I am sorta feeling burnt out, so I will be out of town from the 13th to the 19th.
:cussing: Unfortunately, the long term forecast for both home and my vacation destination are forecasted to get snow. This weekends forecast is only 40% chance but this will be the first time on the road and I will be taking my truck, of course, if they are calling for snow. However, the next Thursday and Friday possible storm is going to be big, as both locations have that storm in their forecasts.
Not looking forward to having to drive in snowy conditions on an interstate but I guess I will have to any sort of relaxation.
Any suggestions besides the usual weight in the bed and what not?

Discussion starter · #3 ·
Thanks, and yeah, I am pretty careful when driving, it's just all the other drivers on the road that think they can. :cursin: :jester:

Discussion starter · #4 ·
Well, finally got a better look at the forecast: 2" mostly for the area with up to 6" in localized spots and is forecasted to start at around 5-6am, I might not be up before all that starts to fall and I will still be taking the truck, even though I am not seeing a new storm coming next week until that weekend.

Discussion starter · #5 ·
Got back today

Well, got back home today and I feel great! No work and chores for an entire week, loved it!:D
Now, on to the trip specifics. My trip was around 330 miles total both ways and was fairly uneventful until this afternoon.
On the way there, I got close to my grandmothers house but had to fill up only went 320 miles on a tank, filled up with 19.07gal., which came out to 16 mpg. I figured it was because of the extra 300lbs. of sandbags in the bed as well as the close to 150lbs. of luggage and and me in the truck. But, the weird thing is, on the way back home, I got all the way home on 3/4 of a tank and 300 miles. WTF is up with that?:huh: I know my last trip this long was back in November and I had the K&N intake installed along with e3 DiamondFire spark plugs as well as full synthetic fluids in the driveline. Maybe it was still learning or it could have been weather related(driving against the wind, temperatures, humidity, etc.) .
I ran into a drivability issue there. While waiting for my brother's ride back to college(I had no plans to drive his ass back to Springfield in my truck, I would have if I had the Neon) and my idle RPM's were jumping up and down between 500 and 1000 RPM. I never saw that happen again but that is for another thread.
Now for the bad part. I have been watching the forecast the past week for both there and home and both times there was winter weather forecasted. I ended up beating the last weekend storm there but I wasn't so lucky coming home: I ended up driving into the heart of the mess and this one section that normally would take 45-55 minutes almost took two hours. It was snowing so heavily that the slush was freezing up from all the cars going over the lane that was getting plowed(right lane). Road conditions got worse as I approached home and there were a few wrecks on the road. I got by all that and by the time I was 10 miles from home, I ended up staying in 4HI the rest of the way at 40 mph due to the roads being covered.
So, that's my trip in a nutshell. My vacay ended up not being in jeopardy but I still had to be vigilant. I know I would have had issues if I was driving the Neon.:forgetit:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.