Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just wanna know how much of a difference there is in handling after doing a V8 swap in a RC Dakota. I already get some pretty bad understear at high speed cornering. I want my dakota to be as fast as possible but also to corner well.

·
Happy 4th of July!
47,199 Posts
DownBoi said:
I just wanna know how much of a difference there is in handling after doing a V8 swap in a RC Dakota. I already get some pretty bad understear at high speed cornering. I want my dakota to be as fast as possible but also to corner well.
If you swap it into the stock location and all, I would have to say it prolly will handle alot worse. Dodge put 5.2's center infront of the center of the front suspension. (That imaginary line between the middle of the control arms) Thusly putting the weight mainly on the front wheels = BAD for everything. You have to have some STIFF springs to make it firm. I've always had V8 2wds and I've loved em, but I've always pondered notchin the firewall and movin the motor back 6" I think that'd transfer ALOT of weight to the back wheel (More traction too)

Or Buy a can of :spam: :woowoo: :sorry:

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm good idea about moving it back further. I always wonder how cool it would be to get one of those V-transfer cases and turning it into a Rear Engine, Rear Wheel drive. NOW THAT WOULD BE FLIPPIN AWESOME!!

·
Your hero
561 Posts
Moving it back 6" would be a complete bitch.. you would have to get mounts to take it back that far, the firewall wouldent clear it so that would have to be fabbed up, new driveshaft, ton of small things, and all the problems you would now have with the interior of the cab. Just start by lowering it and you'll feel alot more confident going into a corner than you are now.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I plan on lowering it anyway. And with the understear, i just know to cut the corner a little sharper. I would like more power, actually, A LOT more power, so i really wanna do the V8 swap, but i dont wanna lose handling. And im still kinda iffy about the swap since i wanna stay with a stick, but i know if i do the V8 swap, im not gonna be able to keep the same transmission. I also credit the understear to my big ole tires i have. I used to have 195/75s up front, and used to haul balls around corners. But with the 215s, its kinds like driving on JELLO.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
How much more does the V8 weight than the V6? I'm sure it's not a huge difference to where it would really hurt you performance. Having traction problems is just a byproduct of making more power, if you were to build a V6 up you would still have problems with traction. But I really doubt the change of weight up front is going to hurt your handling a whole lot. Oh and, you can use the transmisson you have with a V8.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The AX 15? I thought the manual V8s came with the NV 3500 or whatever it is. And im not worried about forward traction, just cornering :biggthump I dont know how much more the V8 weighs than the V6, i cant imagine it to be more than a hundred pounds, but i really dont know. But i know that if i put as much money into my V6 that i would spend on a V8, it would just make as much power as a mildy modded V8. But i also dont really know about that, tell me if im wrong. Im also kinda hooked on the turbo'd V6 idea.

·
Your hero
561 Posts
DownBoi said:
The AX 15? I thought the manual V8s came with the NV 3500 or whatever it is. And im not worried about forward traction, just cornering :biggthump I dont know how much more the V8 weighs than the V6, i cant imagine it to be more than a hundred pounds, but i really dont know. But i know that if i put as much money into my V6 that i would spend on a V8, it would just make as much power as a mildy modded V8. But i also dont really know about that, tell me if im wrong. Im also kinda hooked on the turbo'd V6 idea.
I was using "traction" as a generic term for your understeer. Yes, manual V8's do come with the NV3500 but you can use your AX15.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh, well i thought u just meant "off-the-line" traction. Well i know the AX 15 will bolt up to the 318, but how long will it last? Ive heard that the NV 3500 shifts like a glacier. But i dont wanna put a 318 up to the AX 15 and then destroy it and have to switch later on. What i really need to know is how much money would i have to put in my V6 to get AT LEAST 230bhp. Probably too much to make it worth it, but i would really like to know.

·
Registered
582 Posts
aren't the 3.9's already rated at 180hp??? There's not much you can do other than going with a custom turbo setup. You should be able to get near 230hp it'd be neat to see if someones dedicated enough to follow through witht the fabrication on it

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Dedication:Yes, Funds:No. They are rated at 170hp, but thats the engine, not at the wheels. Im sure it can be easily achieved to reach 230bhp, but i dont know how safe it would be. Supposedly the V6 actually have some kind of advantage over the V8s but i dont know what it is.

·
Getting Old
5,037 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not in performance, but just the way its built different from the 318. Something about the heads or something. Ill try to find it again so u guys can read it. And if its not that hard to make a Six banger fast, why do so many people do the V8 swap?

·
Your hero
561 Posts
DownBoi said:
Not in performance, but just the way its built different from the 318. Something about the heads or something. Ill try to find it again so u guys can read it. And if its not that hard to make a Six banger fast, why do so many people do the V8 swap?
The 3.9 and 5.2 are basically identical. They have the same bore, same stroke, same head design, same intake design, both internally balanced, basically they are identical except for the cylinder difference. Doing a motor swap is all a matter of choice. The V8's have a bigger displacement that helps to start out with, plus there are a few more parts avaliable for them. I'm not speaking bad about the V8's.. hell I would probably rather have a V8.. but you can make power with a V6. Even though the V6 has a slightly smaller list of parts to choose from.. it still has potential and can get out of it's own way when modded.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.