Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
v6 v8 swap in a 91 help please

I have a 91 dakota with a 3.9. I found a 87 318 out of a full size truck will it bolt up? If it does I want to make throttle body I know they didn't make a 87 throttle body is what year intake and throttle body will work please help

·
Registered
57 Posts
In the research I have done, the proper mounting bosses are not on the '87 block. I tried to see if an '88 engine would work and according the pictures I found here: http://www.gearheadengines.com/CrateEngines

The '91 year is the only one that the V8 LA block will bolt in place. Otherwise you have to use a '92 and up Magnum engine.

The issue is motor mounts. The '87 mounts are on the front of the block. The Dakota's use a mount located on the side of the block for both the V6 and V8.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the help was hoping it would bolt right up cause i jumped the gun and bought 87 motor got a deal I couldn't pass up. do you or anyone else know if by chance they sell a conversion kit to make it work or can i drill holes and make motor mounts for it or am I out the $.

·
Registered
57 Posts
That kit only works with engines with the side mount motor mounts. The '87 engine doesn't have those bosses in the block.

·
Registered
411 Posts
That kit only works with engines with the side mount motor mounts. The '87 engine doesn't have those bosses in the block.
91-up have 2 mount locations. the older style has them on the side but more up front. this kit will let you use old school blocks in the dakotas.
I know cause thats what I was going to do. but the l.a blocks needs this kit as a mentoined above. 91 up can use the 87 mounts.

·
keep your stick onthe ice
1,058 Posts
this question would probably get better feedback in the GEN I forum at least on the electronic side of things

·
Registered
57 Posts
91-up have 2 mount locations. the older style has them on the side but more up front. this kit will let you use old school blocks in the dakotas.
I know cause thats what I was going to do. but the l.a blocks needs this kit as a mentoined above. 91 up can use the 87 mounts.
That is probably right as I was thinking in terms of a 4x4 since that is what I have. Schumachers kit only works with the 2wd Dakota.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I'd like to see a picture of what the mounts looked like and how they attached to the block.

·
Loud is NOT Fast
1,768 Posts
You would probably be better off finding a magnum 318/360

·
Ugliest Truck on here!!!
8,951 Posts
An 87 would be an LA motor and would bolt up to your truck as is and if I am not mistaken is carbed.

If i were looking for a Dakota again it would be a 91 CC so i can grab an LA engine and carb it and forget all this EFI and computer crap (and I do I.T. for a living so I'm not afraid of a computer)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Also one of the other issues you will run into will be the water pump length. On the '91 Dakota the radiator support is further back than the '93. I think it is a pre '71 water pump that will fit, but then you will need to put an electric fan outside as a pusher right behind the grill.

Other considerations:

ADDITIONAL TECH TIPS:
• Fuel lines will have to be relocated.
• Some models will require tranny lines to be relocated.
• V6 trannys and bell housings will bolt to your small block. All factory linkages should be in the same location, and will work fine.
• 727 and 904 transmissions will require a tranny adaptor plate, unless your vehicle
came with a 3 speed automatic (some ‘87-91 models).
• If you change from a 4 speed automatic overdrive to a 727 or 904 transmission, your drive shaft will have to be lightened.
• Some models have fuel pumps in the gas tank. A fuel regulator is needed to achieve the correct pressure.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts