Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm rebuilding a 9.25 for my Dakota. The rear came from a R/T that had been stolen and crashed. When I open it up I found that the r&p was trashed. I scavended another 3.92 r&p from a Durango. Now that I'm ready to put it back together using all new bearings,seals, and clutch pack, nobody seems to want to set it up using a used r&p. They're telling me that it would be a waste of time, that it won't last long. I see people selling used gearsets on the boards often. Am I missing something or are they just trying to sell me a new gearset? Have had 3 different guys tell me this about used r&ps.

·
Craigslue
757 Posts
I don't know why it wouldn't be OK as long as the gear set is in good shape. Problem is I'm guessing is some may not want to do it and guarantee their work using a used gear set. I installed new 4.56 gears in mine with a Detroit Truetrac. If set up right I don't know why it wouldn't be OK.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks. It is a matched set. And I did keep the original shim with the pinion. But looks like everything is going to work out for the good. I got a name from the past that I had forgotten about. It has been close to 25 yrs since me and Lindsey McClure worked at a company called Ohio Gear. This is the same company that makes Richmond Gear ring and pinions. Lindsey had the job traveling to major Drag races with the Richmond 18 wheeler doing set ups for the drivers. I tried to get that job but he had more experience. He has a website if anyone is interested.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Some of the time you can get a harmonic hum or wine from using used gear sets. The reason being is that every housing is a little different (the reason way they have to be shimmed and pre-loaded) and the ring and pinion will mesh and ware to that housing. Most shop don't warranty used parts labor or want to touch them for that reason.

·
9,487 Posts
Nothing wrong with using them, except it's a bitch to set them up.

·
Texas, Pffffft
14,793 Posts
As long as the gears are set up properly and aren't damaged, a used gear set is just fine to use.

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
I'm running a 3.92 R&P gear set from a '02 RT Dakota that was used a lot in Auto Cross Racing. Replaced the clutch pack and had a shop do the work at the tune of $850 out the door. They warrantied their work but not the parts and warned me about the possibility of gear hum. So far everything is good and tight. Really brought the fun factor up a ton! Went from 3.55 open carrier to 3.92 Mopar LSD.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts