Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Just uncrank the torsion bars until most of the bolt is out and cut the bumpstops down. It's 100% free and just as effective...

·
I like trucks
3,171 Posts
Just wodnering, not to reverse this thread or anything but When i get my new tires im prolly gonna have to turn up the torsion bars, what size is the bolt and how hard is this to do? Do I need to have the truck off the ground or does it not matter?

·
Registered
332 Posts
15/16 Socket if I'm not mistaken, not hard to do at all, I think its easier off the ground don't know for sure, I've just heard, im turning mine up this weekend so I guess I'll know then.

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
Yup, 15/16 socket would be correct. Also, be aware that they are probably pretty rusted and VERY hard to turn at first. Air tools do no good, so you'll need a 1/2" drive breaker bar and a long pole to put on the end. This is the fastest way to get the torque you need to break those suckers loose. 135psi and a good pnumatic drill did me absolutely no good.

I suggest measure and writing down the height about 3-5 spots on each side, whether it be the frame, body, or whatever. Crank each side a few FULL thread turns, then measure again. Once you get about the height you want, measure both side to make sure they're equal. After that, it's best to get a full alignment as some of the suspension will now be at different angles (of course).

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The torsion keys are supposed to give 2-3" additional drop vs.the "free" method.
I know adjusting the torsion bars kills the ride but how bad is it andhow far can you go???

·
"Fuchengruhvin"
1,759 Posts
YellowKota2k said:
Just uncrank the torsion bars until most of the bolt is out and cut the bumpstops down. It's 100% free and just as effective...
Can you say "bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy,bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy - BUMP"!

My opinion - by a 2WD and lower that. U-R messing with the transfer case and unless you spend a ton of money to do it right - like DJM Suspensions used to do for 4wd, forget the torsion keys.

Just my opinion - yes, opinions are like buttholes - everyones got them!

·
Registered
5,697 Posts
lilguido1 said:
Can you say "bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy,bouncy, bouncy, bouncy, bouncy - BUMP"!
When I lowered the front end of my 63 Valiant convertible, I used the torsion bar method. It made the ride stiffer, which was fine with me. Have they changed the design? I am planning to lower my 4x4 a little this way...

·
Banned
8,203 Posts
BlackDak said:
When I lowered the front end of my 63 Valiant convertible, I used the torsion bar method. It made the ride stiffer, which was fine with me. Have they changed the design? I am planning to lower my 4x4 a little this way...
I guess so, because now lowering it will make the ride smoother and more like an old Crown Vic. The only way to make the ride stiff is to crank them higher.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts