Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I have a GPS which is cool, but I found this online and wondered if it works like it says it does, basicly you down load poi maps that are updated as needed. when your moving around in your car, it 'alerts you' to 'known' speed traps and traffic cameras.

Sounds cool ( I want it), does anyone on here use something like this? I think there are a couple of sites that do this. this is the one I was looking at.

http://phantomALERT-review.blogspot.com/

·
Dakota for Life!
2,489 Posts
I dont know about that. Speed traps move often times daily. So, if you dont have the latest downlowds, you're S.O.L. Camera intersections downloads might be of help since the cameras stay stationary. Just my thoughts.

·
No Boost? Why Drive?
1,766 Posts
I have Trapster on my Garmin, it's a database of speed camers, red light cameras and possible speed trap areas. Trapster is availible for some phones and it actually offers real time speed trap locations from other trapster users.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Around here

They usually are right out in the open as the staties and locals are sending the message to just slow down on your own, don't be an ass and do 90 right in front of them and make them pull out. They sit in different spots on the main highways at different times but they're never hidden from view or anything and they sometimes switch locations. The locations of traffic cameras are often broadly advertised and signs are posted because on the intersections that have been problematic enough with red light runners to warrant them, they want compliance. They don't actually want to hide them so people keep doing it.

When I am in an area where it looks like they're a little more likely to be devious about it I watch my speed as Im not interested in contributing to the school budget of some small hick town somewhere. In redneck-ville if I can't clearly see the sides of the road for awhile I obey the limit. Now the speed cameras are a newer phenomenon to me and I've just now started to hear people getting snagged by them. That would be of value to me.

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,358 Posts
They usually are right out in the open as the staties and locals are sending the message to just slow down on your own, don't be an ass and do 90 right in front of them and make them pull out. They sit in different spots on the main highways at different times but they're never hidden from view or anything and they sometimes switch locations. The locations of traffic cameras are often broadly advertised and signs are posted because on the intersections that have been problematic enough with red light runners to warrant them, they want compliance. They don't actually want to hide them so people keep doing it.

When I am in an area where it looks like they're a little more likely to be devious about it I watch my speed as Im not interested in contributing to the school budget of some small hick town somewhere. In redneck-ville if I can't clearly see the sides of the road for awhile I obey the limit. Now the speed cameras are a newer phenomenon to me and I've just now started to hear people getting snagged by them. That would be of value to me.
noone asked how cops go about sitting somewhere, the original poster asked if anyone used gps to locate speed traps...Damn...A long post for really, nothing :jester:

·
Registered
651 Posts
Point being

around here it's a waste of money cause you can always spot them if you're paying attention and there's no guarranty they'll sit in the same spots every day.

Thank you for the observation though preciate it. Good job there. YOu pretty sharp.

·
The Troll Behind The Dog
8,358 Posts
around here it's a waste of money cause you can always spot them if you're paying attention and there's no guarranty they'll sit in the same spots every day.

Thank you for the observation though preciate it. Good job there. YOu pretty sharp.
A waste of money how? Its a free app...at least for my phone it was...and I doubt its free one place and not another...But way to be sharp on your end too:jester:

·
Banned
7,509 Posts
is it worth the risk of a lot of money and points on something you know cqnt be up to date at all. I know my cousin who is a cop. tells me that he has lots of different areas he sets up his radar gun on. he says theres no set time or pattern for any cop. plus they add those cameras to different places all the time. how up to date is their info.

best defense is not to speed. because in the end sooner or later you will lose. then you will be posting on the bad news forum about how the cop was picking on you and had nothing better to do than to take your hard earned cash. just do the speed limit and you will have nothing to worry.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts