Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
a drunken dakotaholic
955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been searching and searching but haven't gotten anywhere.

I am in the midst of installing a P-Pump 4bt into my 98 2wd RC dakota. For now the 4bt is staying stock but have a goal of 500hp/1ktq. With the new power, I want to make sure to get new rear end setup properly.

I am wanting to upgrade the rear end with a 9", 4 link & coilovers. I would like to keep the stock rims. I am considering ordering a complete setup, just dont know where to start.

Also, any 4bt guys out there that can recommend was gear ration is should run?

Can anyone point me in the right direction

·
Registered
721 Posts
I have been searching and searching but haven't gotten anywhere.
Ok, lets see if we can help……

I am in the midst of installing a P-Pump 4bt into my 98 2wd RC dakota. For now the 4bt is staying stock but have a goal of 500hp/1ktq. With the new power, I want to make sure to get new rear end setup properly.

I am wanting to upgrade the rear end with a 9", 4 link & coilovers. I would like to keep the stock rims. I am considering ordering a complete setup, just don't know where to start.
Yes, it's possible to use a Ford 9" rear and link it. If you're building this truck to do a bit of drag racing then links will be nice as it can be built to be adjustable. But it's not going to be easy or cheap. It will require extensive fabrication for the rear suspension and the axle will be pure custom too. If this is the route you're thinking about, you might want to use custom rims too. Factory rims will not give you many tire options if you want to lay down minimal ETs. If you're building a street truck, the links will be nice but probably a bit overkill. If you're on a budget, the current leaf spring sups can be made to work. As for keeping your rims, if you want to do a 9" Ford, you'll need to have the axle flanges drilled for the Dakota lug pattern.

Also, any 4bt guys out there that can recommend was gear ration is should run?
This is really going to depend on how you plan to use the truck, and what transmission and tire size you plan to use. Off the top of my head, say you're planning to run a stock sized tire with an OD transmission You could run a 3.50, but you could potentially run a 3.07 for better fuel economy or 4.10 for some serious tire smoke and low orbit launches. Remember, diesels are low on rpm, but big on torque. You will typically pick taller gears for a diesel than a gas engine.

Ed

1 - 2 of 2 Posts