Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I posted about a clunk in my front suspension in my 2002 Quad cab Dakota. Well, I finally discovered the cause and I thought I would post the results here. About a year ago I rebuilt the front suspension, new ball joints, bushings, shocks and sway bar bushings. Soon after I would get a clunk when turning and applying the brakes. What I discovered after a couple of attempts to find it, was that the upper ball joint bolts had gotten loose and one bolt had even fallen out. When I removed one bolt on each side was, the bolt had worn in the area of the threads just under the head, obviously from movement. What I also discovered was that the hole in the ball joint, (Moog), was 7/16 of an inch but the metric bolt that came in the kit was about 3/8 of an inch, as was the hole in the A frame. So even if the bolt was tight, there was room for movement. So my fix was to drill out the hole in the A frame to 7/16 and I purchased some grade 8 7/16 bolts and installed them and tightened them to the proper torque, using lock nuts and Loctite. No more clunk. So I have to realize that it is quite probable that they were not properly tightened by me during my front end rebuild....lesson learned!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts