Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Gas Guzlin and Tire smoke
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just finished installing my underdrive pulleys (crank & alt.) and WOW..... also I bypassed the belt around the A/C...... definetly worth it! the install i did in my driveway with minimal tools (set of sockets and a few wrenches)... all together i spent under 100 bucks!! the march pulleys cost 60 bucks and the belt was about 30.....took about an hour to do as well!!! ..... best mod for the buck so far! :biggthump

·
Registered
71 Posts
i'm thinking of doing the exact same thing with my r/t... glad to hear its noticeable and worth it, just gotta figure out if runnning an underdrive alternator pulley will charge my battery enough to support all my aftermarket electronics and stereo

·
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont have a stero or tv or anything but my charging gauge diddnt really move.....so id go for it and if you dont have luck there just do the crank pulley :biggthump

·
Home Owner....
2,565 Posts
Solar360 said:
i'm thinking of doing the exact same thing with my r/t... glad to hear its noticeable and worth it, just gotta figure out if runnning an underdrive alternator pulley will charge my battery enough to support all my aftermarket electronics and stereo

no... it wont. keep your stock alt pully.... many of us in the R/T club have had charging probs, even killed a alt or two with a UD pully. put the stock one back on and probs went away.

though only bypass the A/C if ya dont use it at all or racin (then also bypass teh PS pump... ~ a 48.5 in belt). the way the system is set up the A/C compressor is used intermittently depending on where the switches are set at on the control panel.

·
Registered
71 Posts
sounds like im keeping the stock one on then lol.. i have shaved door handles and no safety release switch so dead batteries = broken windows... better to be safe then sorry

·
Blown and Squirted
3,407 Posts
You should just remove the latch from your rear glass window, then just push it over incase of a dead batt. Or install some emergency releases.

V

·
0 Posts
Sounds good maybe i will catch up with u on IM or something so i can check it out and see if i should do it with my 360 :mullet:

·
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds good...... best 55 bucks i ever spent..... thier march pulleys so go to google and search march pulleys...... i baught mine through ramchargers (or as we call em here Overchargers) and thay only bumped the price up 5 bucks so i think no matter where your at youll get a deal....

·
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also now a few weeks have went by now and as far as the charging system goes i have noticed the gauge creep down a bit at idle and when i have my light on at night at an idle they go kinda dim till i hit the gas and they brighten up......nothing id consider harmfull..... but i dont have a system or drawind alot of amps but i think ill get an optima redtop just to be safe :biggthump

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
99durango318 said:
all together i spent under 100 bucks!! the march pulleys cost 60 bucks and the belt was about 30.....took about an hour to do as well!!! ..... best mod for the buck so far! :biggthump
How much smaller is the belt? Got a number for it? I'm doing a mod and it will require a longer belt. Now I'm thinking that I can use an underdrive pulley and keep the stock belt.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Just thought of one situation where an underdrive alt. would be a problem. What about those that have or plan to have an electric fan?

·
I bleev u have mai staplr
3,954 Posts
I have an electric fan, how would that effect it?? i do have trouble charging though, when idle it doesn't charge at all, but as long as the RPM's are anywhere over idle it charges ok.

I also had a shaved door handle kit, and the battery didnt go dead, but the fuse blew!! Good thing I had popped the hood just before i sht my door, and i was lazy and ran the passenger side + wire for the selonoid up through the engine compartment, I just touched it on the battery and the door popped. I was about .5 seconds from smashing a window. I put my handles right back in and took out the shaved kit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Wow i thought about doing this but from years 92-99 there about $60-80 bucks then years 2000-2003 are $200+ WTF is that :bs2:

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Many e-fans draw too much current for an alt. underdrive pulley. If it came down to a choice of installing a set of underdirve pulleys and installing an e-fan I would go with the fan.

I think the difference in pulley costs has to do with the type of drive belt.

·
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well i figure youd be aloright if u got a 140 amp alt. and a Optima Red top battery........not sure tho

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
99durango318 said:
Well i figure youd be aloright if u got a 140 amp alt. and a Optima Red top battery........not sure tho
Looks like you have the right setup to let us know. :biggthump

·
Super Modder
4,368 Posts
razman131 said:
no... it wont. keep your stock alt pully.... many of us in the R/T club have had charging probs, even killed a alt or two with a UD pully. put the stock one back on and probs went away.

though only bypass the A/C if ya dont use it at all or racin (then also bypass teh PS pump... ~ a 48.5 in belt). the way the system is set up the A/C compressor is used intermittently depending on where the switches are set at on the control panel.
that doesnt make sence at all...a smaller pulley makes the alternator spin faster...thus charge better.

·
7,610 Posts
for the problem of no charge at idle is normal, suppose to only charge after so many rpms, the bigger alt pulley you put on the less the charge, i found this out when i swapped alt w/ a 98 dak that had a 140 amp alt, the back were different but could be swapped to work, before i had 14.4v all the time and now 13.8, there was a 1/4" different on pulley size -98 was bigger-, the pulleys act as gear, the smaller it is the faster it spins, the bigger the slower it spins. i recently had my battery die on me 2 times, luckly i had 3 yr warranty and swapped for free - 800 cold 1000 cranking and 115 reserve- almost biggest to have, also a 1 farad cap, i talked to a battery expert today to see about upgrade and seein what all i have hooked up only solution was bigger alt or a drop cord hooked to duke power. :banana2:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts