Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a black dak, and a ugly grey plastic valance under the top part of the bumper. could I get this painted, or would I have to buy a completely new one? Whats the best for the buck?

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
its alot of sanding to smooth it. but paintable, yes. and at autozone i think its like 90 bucks for a smoothed primed one.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts

·
Pre-Teen Giggle Brigade
6,840 Posts
urs is a black truck....just buy decent spray paint and run the can under hot water before spraying and spray it...(run it under hot water so it lays better on the valence)

·
Nano brain
183 Posts
Check on ebay dude.

and yes you can paint it, those plastic parts dont aways spray right tho, goota prep it right.

·
.:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
10,424 Posts
If you're wanting to go cheap, try some Krylon Fusion in a matte or semi black. Guy my dad works with did the same with his 99 SLT and it really didn't look bad at all. Front valance and the rear bumper pads.

You can't expect show quality, but for a few bucks in paint and basically no prep, it's easy and looks alot better.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I had both my front and back plastic painted to match at a local shop the week I bought it. They didn't scuff it smooth, just to prep it and it still looks great after 105K and 9 years. Cost me $200.

For a black truck I agree with the above. Scuff it, prep it well and Krylon it.

·
Resident Craigslist Whore
3,230 Posts
the body shop told me a while back that theres a "raw bumper" kit out there for painting the cheap crappy plastic parts that manufacturers are using on bodys now. i think he said 3M made it. they did a white avalanche, painted every bit of gray plastic on it, and 3 years later it still looks great.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
If you're wanting to go cheap, try some Krylon Fusion in a matte or semi black. Guy my dad works with did the same with his 99 SLT and it really didn't look bad at all. Front valance and the rear bumper pads.

You can't expect show quality, but for a few bucks in paint and basically no prep, it's easy and looks alot better.
I agree with the Krylon Fusion. I used ion on the grey cladding on my old Honda Element. just clean the area and spray. No clear needed. It looked very nice and after 2-3 years was not faded or chipped. For $2-3 per can at Walmart, you can't go wrong.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts