Dakota Durango Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Schaw Flapping Pus
2,274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what every one had. LED, LCD, Plasma TV. I almost bought a 50 inch Samsung Plasma yesterday. I wont get it until the first. So I backed out.

I need some info.

Thanks, Brian

·
vtec kickin in yo
709 Posts
i got a 32in sony wega or vega idk its hard to tell what it is haha. it gets the job done for playing ps3 so

·
Registered
2,756 Posts
What model was it? Why did you back out? I have a B530 Samsung, and I like it so far. It was BY FAR cheaper then any other 50" 1080p at the time. (Bought it+home theater for $818, sold the home theater for $170 and got $38 bing cash back, so $610 total) Only thing I don't like about it is that it keeps images on the screen, mostly black bars when watching movies. They go away but it's annoying to me, and I would have got an LCD if I were to do it over again. LED tv's are the best of both worlds, but they come at a cost of course. Use a deal finding website if you arn't already, thats what I did (slickdeals.net).

·
Registered
367 Posts
I use a 40" Sony Bravia XBR2 (Non-LED LCD) in my room at home and a 37" Sony Bravia XBR6 (Non-LED LCD) in my dorm. Both support full 1080p. I use them dual purpose as my TV and computer monitor which is really convenient and saves a lot of space. Moreover, since I only had to invest in a single monitor/TV, it enabled me to spend quite a bit more.

Since you're looking at plasmas, you probably like the ultra-fluid lifelike look/feel as opposed to LCD's "crispness". Sadly, when I bought the 40", Sony (nor any brand) offered the 120Hz refresh rate yet and when I bought the 37", Sony didn't offer 120Hz in anything smaller than a 40" so both of them are just a 60Hz refresh rate. What this amounts to is that for signals of 40Hz on a screen with a 60Hz refresh rate, every other frame will be displayed twice instead of once which causes things to appear less smooth -- if your eyes are capable of detecting it. However, every XBR now comes with either 120 or 240Hz so they should look just as fluid as any plasma available.

However, you're going to pay substantially more for Sony's (or any brand's) high-end XBR series than their lesser models or some other budget brands. For instance, I got the 40" on sale for $1800 in 2006 and the 37" for $1400 in late 2008 (both at BestBuy) but for the same price I could have probably got a 60"+ but I strongly feel you're better off getting a high quality display as opposed to a gigantic base model or off-brand. My roommate last year had a Vizio LCD and my sister has a 32" Sony base model LCD and the difference in picture quality is night and day compared to my XBR's. The XBR series is actually now being phased out in favor of their new LED back-lit NX800 series which is causing some amazing deals (46" Sony Bravia XBR9 - 240Hz - $1659.00)

If you haven't guessed by now, my suggestion is to go with Sony's XBR lineup -- you won't regret it! :mullet:

·
2000 SLT+ 5.9L Platinum
2,543 Posts
Avoid Plasma. Low lifespan compared to others, very high energy costs. Artifacts are possible in fast motion imagery.

Avoid DLP. Older technology abandoned for other technologies.

LCD is lower energy than plasma, proven tech but no longer the top choice.

LED is the most current. There are variants of LED so check those out avoiding the others. Go for the fastest Htz you can find and afford. At this time in tvland technologies, 1080p should be the choice in whatever technology you choose.

IndyDurango

·
Registered
367 Posts
Avoid Plasma. Low lifespan compared to others, very high energy costs. Artifacts are possible in fast motion imagery.

Avoid DLP. Older technology abandoned for other technologies.

LCD is lower energy than plasma, proven tech but no longer the top choice.

LED is the most current. There are variants of LED so check those out avoiding the others. Go for the fastest Htz you can find and afford. At this time in tvland technologies, 1080p should be the choice in whatever technology you choose.

IndyDurango
I believe you're somewhat misinformed in regards to LED TV's. LED merely refers to the back-lighting source. A "LED TV" is a LCD but with a LED back-light. (As opposed to an LCD with an incandescent back-light.) However, you are correct in the statement that LED LCD TV's are the most current.

Also, it should be pretty apparent that LED LCD's are more energy efficient than standard LCD's since LED's consume far less power than standard bulbs. Moreover, LED LCD's should far outlast standard LCD's assuming that the back-light is the limiting factor.

·
2000 SLT+ 5.9L Platinum
2,543 Posts
+1 !!

I just read on Saturday that there will be/are great deals at BestBuy, Walmart and Target on TVs because of the SuperBowl. Seems like a time to buy for the big game and retailers want the business. It may pay to shop around a bit.

IndyDurango

·
Premium Member
12,185 Posts
The best piece of advice I can give is to not rush out and buy the first TV you see - shop around, shop around, then shop around some more. Unless you're buying a really cheap TV, I don't think you're ever going to notice the difference between most of these TV's unless you are literally watching two of them side by side. Wait for a bargain and then pounce on it.

A couple of months ago I picked up an LG 55" 1080p LCD TV. Its original price was $2299, Fry's was flushing them out the door for $1115 so I drove over and picked one up. I tried to get Best Buy to price match so I could save a few more bucks with their reward zone but they wouldn't touch the deal, said it was hundreds below their cost.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
I have a 32" insignia 720p LCD. I like it, its a good size for me for the apartment.
37" Insignia 720p LCD, loving it:mullet:. Killer deal at the time.

Even bought the 4yr geek squad warranty to be safe.

·
My horns hold up my halo!
5,992 Posts
47" sony rear projection tv.... won it three years ago on superbowl squares... 100 bucks for 2 squares and i won a thousand dollar tv....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts