Dakota Durango Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

99 durango slt 4wd 5.9L 360 V8.

Has been pinging/knocking a bit on moderate accerlation or going uphill. I use 87 pump gas, always have, never pinged or knocked before, but now it is. I was thinking to tune it up and see if that will help.

What are a good set of plugs that suits this motor? any specific temperature rating? gap?

I also want to replace the wires, distributor cap/rotor.

Whats the best set of wires i can get from a store, i want to avoid ordering anything online if at all possible.

fuel filter, can it be changed... i heard something crazy that its above the fuel tank or something?

thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
79,419 Posts
I know it'll cost a lil more but go up to 89 octane. Thats what my dad had to do when his F-150 started to ping and it cleared it right up.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
What are a good set of plugs that suits this motor? any specific temperature rating? gap?
- 3923 autolite plugs gap to .040

I also want to replace the wires, distributor cap/rotor.
- brass rotor & cap from NAPA and accel wires 8mm

fuel filter, can it be changed... i heard something crazy that its above the fuel tank or something?
- fuel filter is in the top of the tank. you have to drop it to remove it

another trick you can do for pinging is relocate your IAT sensor to your CAI tube. pick-up 1/4" pipe plug from NAPA and drill 1/2" hole in your CAI tube and install your IAT sensor. plug the hole with the 1/4" plug. done. Hope that helps

·
Registered
504 Posts
I would start with a set of NGK plugs designed for your year Durango. Stay with the factory heat setting. The NGK plugs are very robust and their cost is around $2.00 each.

Change out the cap and rotor with the Napa brass cap and rotor and I would install a set of the Taylor 8mm wires. Since its that time of the year and if your Durango is due I would flush the cooling system and install a 180-degree stat.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
mopar rt said:
I would start with a set of NGK plugs designed for your year Durango. Stay with the factory heat setting. The NGK plugs are very robust and their cost is around $2.00 each.

Change out the cap and rotor with the Napa brass cap and rotor and I would install a set of the Taylor 8mm wires. Since its that time of the year and if your Durango is due I would flush the cooling system and install a 180-degree stat.
he's pinging.

·
Registered
250 Posts
my truck did the same thing a few weeks after i bought it (used) and i tryed running prem fuel and had the same problem. a simple tune up did the trick and its run great ever since.

it dosent sould like your racing your truck so just get a set of autolites from your local parts store, buy a cap and rotor and a set of plugs and youll be set. you cant change your fuel filter because it is inside of the tank and is part of the pump assy. well you can but its not worth it until it really needs it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
eh my truck does the pingin also...so that mean's i need a tune up ?..thanks

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
hayn_dakota said:
eh my truck does the pingin also...so that mean's i need a tune up ?..thanks
auto lite 3923's and IAT mod should cure the pinging.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
hayn_dakota said:
what is that ?
autolite 3923's are spark plugs.
this is the IAT mod

How to relocate your IAT Sensor

The IAT Sensor is located on the #2 Intake Runner (3.9/5.2/5.9L) or under the Throttle Body, in the manifold (4.7L) - Big Brass looking sensor with two wires (Grayish connector)

Remove the IAT sensor from the manifold and plug the hole with a 1/4" NPT Pipe Plug (Home Depot)

Drill a 1/2" hole in the intake tube and thread the IAT sensor into the hole (use some silicone if you want...not required though) - You may have to extend the wires about 6-12" in some cases (use 16ga. wire)

D

·
0 Posts
Dr. SS said:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

99 durango slt 4wd 5.9L 360 V8.

Has been pinging/knocking a bit on moderate accerlation or going uphill. I use 87 pump gas, always have, never pinged or knocked before, but now it is. I was thinking to tune it up and see if that will help.
Before spending any money on tune-up parts take a look down into the intake manifold. If you see any signs of oil the belly pan gasket is leaking and that is what's causing your pinging. This gasket leaking cause a vacumn leak into the block.

This gasket failing is quite common and mopar has redesigned it as well as much better parts (ie billet) from the aftermarket are available.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts